Trident problem

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Nuts

This is the first season trying to grow trident maple seedlings. The plan is to grow a bit in nursery pots and then transfer in the ground. I have an issue with the leaves having a light green to yellow colour and browning at the tips. In one plant I have plenty of red leaves already.

Note that currently temperature range is 18-28 C and receive 7 hours direct sun. Soil ph at about 7. They are planted in 50% pumice/50% potting soil

Could this be due to excessive moisture? What do you think?

32643292_1323513397792423_4310218561659338752_n.jpg32776982_1323513387792424_2061017499540914176_n.jpg

Reaction score
I had the same and tried all sort of fungicides To no avail. It got much better when I stopped watering. I know use a wooden stick in the soil and only water when the first cm are dry. I think the problem is the potting soil that appears dry at the surface but is still wet underneath.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Iron and manganese chlorosis can produce similar symptoms. However, iron deficiency causes the most intense symptoms on the newest leaves, while manganese deficiencies affect the older leaves. Often the leaf is yellow, but the leaf veins remain green. In some cases, only one side of the tree may be affected.
As chlorosis progresses, the leaves may show brown speckling, become stunted and newer leaves may die. Branch tips and eventually entire branches may die.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Iron and manganese chlorosis can produce similar symptoms. However, iron deficiency causes the most intense symptoms on the newest leaves, while manganese deficiencies affect the older leaves. Often the leaf is yellow, but the leaf veins remain green. In some cases, only one side of the tree may be affected.
As chlorosis progresses, the leaves may show brown speckling, become stunted and newer leaves may die. Branch tips and eventually entire branches may die.
Agreed!

Might as well try some Epsom salt in the water.
I had an azalea do that once, was told to try Epsom salt, and it worked, in 3 days it was green again.
Must be the magnesium.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you all! I will try some epsom salt and see what happens. I am also planning a more careful watering schedule.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leaf tips turning brown like this are usually an indication of overwatering. And overwatering can also inhibit the uptake of nutrient. Controlling watering should take care of both symptoms.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you all! I will try some epsom salt and see what happens. I am also planning a more careful watering schedule.

What is your water like? Is it alkaline / high pH? Is it high in sodium?

Many areas of Greece have water like we have in California...

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What is your water like? Is it alkaline / high pH? Is it high in sodium?

Many areas of Greece have water like we have in California...

It is about 7.2-7.6. Everything else from olives to bougainvilleas, elms, ficus, and lagestremias are doing fine so I cannot blame the water quality. The tridents are the only plants I used potting soil though.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is about 7.2-7.6. Everything else from olives to bougainvilleas, elms, ficus, and lagestremias are doing fine so I cannot blame the water quality. The tridents are the only plants I used potting soil though.

Many plants have different care requirements. You may find that Mediterranean species (like olives, live oaks, silverberries, etc) thrive in conditions where maples and conifers struggle. Ficus, elms, crepe myrtles are renowned for their strength as well. My elms, ficus and crepe myrtles will be fine in conditions where citrus, maples, and quince will be weak and almost dying due to bad water chemistry. It is possible / probable the problem lies with potting soil and over-watering, but if you use alkaline water for irrigation, it is quite easy to get your soil pH to 8.0 or above, at which point your trees will struggle to take up iron and other minerals - even when they are abundant in the soil. Chlorosis due to high soil pH is quite common here, and you can add all the iron you want to the soil but if you don't get the pH down your tree won't be able to absorb it.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Many plants have different care requirements. You may find that Mediterranean species (like olives, live oaks, silverberries, etc) thrive in conditions where maples and conifers struggle. Ficus, elms, crepe myrtles are renowned for their strength as well. My elms, ficus and crepe myrtles will be fine in conditions where citrus, maples, and quince will be weak and almost dying due to bad water chemistry. It is possible / probable the problem lies with potting soil and over-watering, but if you use alkaline water for irrigation, it is quite easy to get your soil pH to 8.0 or above, at which point your trees will struggle to take up iron and other minerals - even when they are abundant in the soil. Chlorosis due to high soil pH is quite common here, and you can add all the iron you want to the soil but if you don't get the pH down your tree won't be able to absorb it.

Thanks for the extensive answer. I will attempt to lower the Ph to 6 from the current 7 with vinegar and see what happens

Top Bottom