Trident Progression, 5 years

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Fore,

You are right, importing is a non-starter for the private individual. A few, very large bonsai nurseries now import, with rather strick isolation requirements. I believe trees need to be isolated in the US for one year, before they can be released to the public. This requirement is from the US gov, and is rather strict, and naturally pushes cost up. Somewhere in the last 5 years this started, and is to limit plant borne diseases/pests.

I bought this tree 5-6 years ago, about the time of the ban from a bonsai nursery, that imported before the ban. Today, some nurseries may have old imports acquired before the ban, far fewer still import (maybe as few as a dozen in the US, like Brussel's). The age is unmistakable, so today a private individual need go to a very large nursery that continues to import, or some old stock may be around at smaller nurseries, eBay etc. Consequently, available trees imported before the ban are few, and the cost naturally goes up.

I believe I paid $700 fo this tree, I don't believe you could find a comparable tree for less than $1000 today.

Best of luck, James

Thank You James for the information. Very interesting, and a bit depressing that importing has become so limited. I for one would love to buy one as you just don't see bonsai's like that here in the US much. But $700...wow, what a great price for such a fantastic aged Trident! I have to keep my eyes and ears open. Again, Thanks James! And Good Luck with your tree!
Chris

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I paid $140.00 for mine above. It is an import also.

Attachments

• dscf0348.jpg
    dscf0348.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 291

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had these to chose from

Attachments

• dscf0347.jpg
    dscf0347.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 305
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow im telling you i wouldnt mine know where to get one of those tridents too:)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It is 2 years, for the quarintine. as to the lower branch issue, now I think of it, may depend on when you want this trees assets displayed, for many D trees the time for it to shine is after the leaves drop, but these are so pretty in fall foliage it's a tough call. The virt was what I was thinking about when I decided to reply, and it looks good, but hang leaves on it and it'll swallow up the trunk line and that image doesn't look so good for me.

Al you working for Morten salt these days?:D At the prices you drop from time to time, pretty soon it'll make a trip out to visit you guys, economically viable. Reads I'd probably have to pay much more than that to get that quality from the importer an hour away from me. On second thought though, I would have a problem buying a $700.00 tree based on photos from across the country, but at $150, a phone call, and photos I could see happening. Damn now you got me thinking again.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too bad BonsaiTALK is not around, you could have read the whole article from the time I bought the tree and all the pictures of the nursery that I had posted of what it looked like then.

Those tridents are long gone as that picture was from 2001 when I purchsed the tree. You can just make out the price in chalk on the plastic pot it came in. Many of the trees in that group were much less, like $100.00. I bought what I felt was the best one, wish I had bought 5 of them.

Kim's bonsai, Phelan CA. Check your old bonsai today magazines thru about 98 or so. He still ran an add each issue.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Great find Smoke!! That has great structure and character. Call me envious ;)

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trident progression update

Roughly 3 years ago, this progression generated a fair amount of discussion. Comments like 'nice pine' and references made to crown size, maple maturity appearance/general design.

Well here is what I have done in 3 years. Grow out and thicken lower branches. Shorten tree, re-establish proportion, define single trunk line and build appropriate branches. Several back branches are long, intended to be next year's grafts.

The goal is not a naturalistic tree you would see in a meadow. The goal is an old trident bonsai. This may induce discussion, as the rounded/full apex naturalistic deciduous tree is in vogue. But these are stylistic preferences, as opposed to correctness. One may see more of one than another at Nolander's and almost all of another in Japan.

Admittedly, it looks a bit like a triangle at present. Plan is in next 5 years to complete mid and upper branches and apex and soften the triangle. Moss is covering an 8" root spread, tree height 24" without apical shoots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 201

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes I agree very nice work! I also agree with the plan for a more rounded silhouette. Peel away that moss and let its nebari shine! :eek:

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Late winter image, 1 year into what I see as a 5 year redesign. Present goal is to build branches, and gain appropriate branch caliber. This work is most needed above the 2 lowest branches. Four grafts placed. Busy area 1/2 way up left of tree will be simplified, once a suitable branch or two are chosen. Reverse taper 2/3 way up at elbow is just life. Top supporting 2 grafts will be shortened 4-6". 8" root spread, partially covered by moss. Pot 24"image.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your doing all the right work. Its making progress.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple years on, fall clean up on trident. 28" tall, trunk 6", root spread 11". Major branches set, lower branches will be brought in a touch. Next is ramification, balancing branch profile and filling in crown. IMG_4700.JPG IMG_4697.JPG

Top Bottom