Trident Pruning?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got this trident in the spring as a rooted cutting from a bonsai nursery in NJ. I have let it grow out, and only intervened to wire the branches where I wanted them. The problem is that I had to remove the wire on the top because it started to cut in, and now the branches all turned upwards and are shading out the lower growth. At this time of the year should I:
A. Defoliate the top leaves to give more light to the lower branches?
B. Prune back the top branches to 4 or so sets of leaves?
C. Rewire the top leaves to all face out, giving the lower branches more light?
D. All of the above?

Attachments

• IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 117

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Green on green is hard to see, lol!

Attachments

• IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 115

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you're determined to work the top, have at it. You can do all of the above now.
Personally, I'd be more concerned about fixing the base.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That looks like a sugar maple to me not a trident. But I may be wrong.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I thought working on the roots in late summer was a no no?
Correct, you don't want to work on the roots now, and root work wasn't included in the "all of the above" options.

Threads like this in many cases have been a request to rationialize "doing something" to the tree. Maybe this isn't, but if you want rationalization, it's your tree: have at it! You won't hurt the tree by doing any of those options. You won't help it any either. If you want to make this into a good bonsai, you need to start with fixing the base; which is done in the spring...on a strong, healthy tree (meaning, you shouldn't actually do any of the above).

The foliage isn't dense enough to shade out anything, and if you're reading what @markyscott posts about wiring trident maples several times a year, you know new growth requires several rounds of wire if you're having a successful growing season. But it's all for naught if you don't start with a good base. If you're doing bonsai in 10 years, 2027 B&B will thank 2017 B&B for learning this lesson.

For now, maybe make some cuts in the voids around the base, pack them with sphagnum moss, and raise the soil level to cover them up a bit. Then, you might have something to cut back to in the spring when you do some root work.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
E) None of the above (That OP listed.)

Here's an idea. At next earliest repot or ground transplant, spring, if what I marked in green has a decent thickeness consider cutting off the large root on left. I'd still follow Brian's advice to make cuts in the voids around the base and fill with soil. From here on grow for thickness and nebari.

Untitled.png

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha, these are all great tips! I bought this tree before I really got into bonsai (I went with two friends of mine, we each bought a tree and this was the only one living after our trip!). At the time I liked the gnarly root base, but now it seems like a failed root over rock attempt that needs to be addressed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom