trident pruning

bunzI

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello all!

I'm new to trident maples and I was wondering when the best time to prune the branches is. There are some that are .5-1" thick that I need to clean up/get rid of and I want to shorten the overall height of my tree. If anyone could tell me when the best time to do some major pruning like this would be I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
BunzI

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you have pictures post them, it will help everyone with comments:)

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Just before the buds begin to swell, which for your area might be about now. Be sure to make each cut concave, and seal them with cut paste. If the tree is already potted you should begin fertilizing. Try to get some growth on it this year, then cut back to the first node, rinse, repeat, wire. I am speaking from my west coast experience, so someone in your area might have better advice.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brain, are we looking at the same photos?
Wood

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm seeing no photos... You see photos? I was just going off of the limited information provided.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brain, I'm not seeing any either! Are we here to give generic information that anyone one read with a google search or are we here to give specific information for a particular tree according to IT'S needs
Wood

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Ah, I see what you did there... I agree, pictures are always helpful and it is best to give advice on an individual tree, but a generic question deserves a generic answer.

Tim_T

Seedling
Reaction score
I see that bunzI hasn't posted in this thread again yet but, I just thought I would let you know that I live in Michigan in zone 5b also and we have leaves on our Trident Maples.

bunzI

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately I do not have any pictures available right now, but it's ok because I was only really looking for a generic answer. I just wanted to know if I should save the pruning of larger branches for late winter/ early spring (next year) or if I could do it after the leaves harden. BTW, yeah where I am in Michigan, my trident has quite a few leaves, although they haven't hardened off yet. I have begun fertilizing too. Thanks again!!

Top Bottom