Trident Question

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey all,

I have a decent sized trident and several saplings and on a few of them I have some of the new, vigorous growth dying and turning black. It's not all of the growth by any means, but is this something I should be worried about? Or, is there something I should be doing to protect the plants? BTW, one is in a grow pot and the rest are in the ground. (I'd take some pics, but it's raining here. If it stops tonight I'll take some pics.

Thanks!

Daniel

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maple...
Ground...
Rain....

Verticillium Wilt.

Read all you can. Check pictures against what you have and see if that is what it is. If it is it wll continue to spread.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maple...
Ground...
Rain....

Verticillium Wilt.

Read all you can. Check pictures against what you have and see if that is what it is. If it is it wll continue to spread.

Thanks, Smoke. Will do.

Appreciate the tip.

Daniel

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nope, that doesn't seem like it, from the google images search I did. We haven't had much rain at all lately. Just today. I'll try and get some pics when it dries up and i'm off work.

Daniel

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you haven't had much rain lately (and the humidity is low) and new foliage is turning black, it's most likely its simply being scorched by the sun.

Move the tree out of direct sun in the afternoon.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you haven't had much rain lately (and the humidity is low) and new foliage is turning black, it's most likely its simply being scorched by the sun.

Move the tree out of direct sun in the afternoon.

If that were the case, wouldn't all new foliage on that side of the plant do the same thing? It seems to be very sporadic.

One of the trees this is happening on is in the ground, so that's out of the question...;)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"If that were the case, wouldn't all new foliage on that side of the plant do the same thing? It seems to be very sporadic.

One of the trees this is happening on is in the ground, so that's out of the question..."

Nope, such damage is not out of the question simply because the plant is in the ground, and no, all new foliage might not be affected.

The sporadic wilting of foliage can be caused by many things, but the conditions you've mentioned have caused similar reactions in my tridents. Sun exposure can be a tricky thing in the Spring.

Some new foliage, particularly on fast-growing tridents, can outpace the roots' ability to supply it with moisture. Throw in strong sun (the sun's rays are at their strongest of the year right now), droughty conditions, recent fertilization (or not), and you've got a recipe for overextended new growth wilting. I really wouldn't worry about this. I'd worry only if older growth showed signs of trouble.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nope, such damage is not out of the question simply because the plant is in the ground..

No, this was said in response to getting the plants in the ground out of the afternoon sun, not to any damage.

A helpful hint for quoting in a message--the quote button at the bottom will automatically quote from the person's post you want to reference. Just tryin' to help you out!

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Since you're developing them they need lots of sun. I would just keep them watered well and not worry about it. Eventually the roots will catch up (probably next year) and you'll start getting trunk girth. With maples in the ground it seems year 3 is when things really start to take off.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Since you're developing them they need lots of sun. I would just keep them watered well and not worry about it. Eventually the roots will catch up (probably next year) and you'll start getting trunk girth. With maples in the ground it seems year 3 is when things really start to take off.

Thanks for the thoughts. Several of the saplings have nearly doubled in girth since march (1/4 to 1/2")! I am amazed!

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Yeah, my personal mantra now is: Buy conifers, and grow deciduous.

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
yes my tridents have done this too, no prob they soon grow more foliage and charge again. water and feed pal. those things can be defoliated up to 3 times in a season if the conditions are right. so a little burn and wilt wont stopm!. :)

Top Bottom