trident re-pot

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
this trident maple is in an 8" diameter by 4" deep pot. it is completely root-bound. it will need mostly just ramification at this point.

is it safe to re-pot it in a 8" diameter, 2 3/4" deep pot? considering i would have to leave some soil on the bottom, it seems that would require removing over 1/3 of the roots in the spring.

I also will be putting it in the ground for the winter, and wonder if I have to be more careful if the cold winter would threaten some of the roots.

thanks.

trident.jpg

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Why would you put it in the ground if you're thinking about putting it in a smaller pot?
Tridents can handle severe root work and end up with very thin root balls.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Why would you put it in the ground if you're thinking about putting it in a smaller pot?
Tridents can handle severe root work and end up with very thin root balls.

I need to store it for the winter dormancy period, not during any growing. in the spring I would put it in a pot.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You should bury it to the soil level, in the current pot for winter storage without disturbing the roots. Pot-bound is fine this time of year.

Then, in the spring, you can do just about anything you need to do to the roots.

If you work on the roots now, the tree will be weakened and/or die.

Timing is everything in bonsai. Simply out, the tree has worked all year, storing energy in the roots for use next spring. Removing roots now deprives the tree of that energy next spring, and there is no opportunity to create more between now and then. Repotting is done in the spring when the tree is moving all that energy back up into the buds. The leaves open and begin to rebuild the root system to store energy for use next spring. You have to understand this cycle and when it's safe to intervene.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You should bury it to the soil level, in the current pot for winter storage without disturbing the roots. Pot-bound is fine this time of year.

Then, in the spring, you can do just about anything you need to do to the roots.

If you work on the roots now, the tree will be weakened and/or die.

Timing is everything in bonsai. Simply out, the tree has worked all year, storing energy in the roots for use next spring. Removing roots now deprives the tree of that energy next spring, and there is no opportunity to create more between now and then. Repotting is done in the spring when the tree is moving all that energy back up into the buds. The leaves open and begin to rebuild the root system to store energy for use next spring. You have to understand this cycle and when it's safe to intervene.

yep, planned to do this in the spring. just wanted to know now the pot size I can buy.

thanks.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would bury that in the pot in the ground and Winter it. I would go with a 8x10x3 or a 10 round 3 inch deep in the Spring. There are plenty close to that size in clay, resin, and plastic that look like clay to get you started.

Tip: Do not drive yourself crazy looking for exact dimensions(unless it is for a special already owned stand) - what I stated is "general" give or take 1/4 - 1/2". If you do want a size you cannot seem to find I would suggest you contact Charles Iker after checking out his site http://www.ikerbonsaipots.com/. He is great to work with and will fire what you want at a working mans price.

Grimmy

Last edited:

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would bury that in the pot in the ground and Winter it. I would go with a 8x10x3 or a 10 round 3 inch deep in the Spring. There are plenty close to that size in clay, resin, and plastic that look like clay to get you started.

Tip: Do not drive yourself crazy looking for exact dimensions(unless it is for a special already owned stand) - what I stated is "general" give or take 1/4 - 1/2". If you do want a size you cannot seem to find I would suggest you contact Charles Iker after checking out his site http://www.ikerbonsaipots.com/. He is great to work with and will fire what you want at a working mans price.

Grimmy

any reason why u suggest a 10" diameter, larger than the current 8" it is in?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
any reason why u suggest a 10" diameter, larger than the current 8" it is in?

It seems to my eye that if you go shallow it would not look correct in a smaller width. I am also thinking it will grow and you want something to train it in so I suggested nice looking trainers that you can drill and wire to without worry

Grimmy

Top Bottom