Trident seedling, 3 buds per node

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It happens sometimes. Instead of dividing into the regular two cells, a division into three takes place. This usually lasts one season and then it rarely happens again on the same plant.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I could corner the South African tri-bud trident market 🥲
Sorry :(

But I would guess that a nursery growing decent trident stock in SA would have a decent enough market!? Is it common?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Sorry :(

But I would guess that a nursery growing decent trident stock in SA would have a decent enough market!? Is it common?
Yes very common, loads available at garden nurseries. Also loads growing in gardens, which is where I’ve collected seeds and seedlings.

Speaking of which, I saw an amazing bonsai potential trident this weekend at a nursery, the nebari must have been about 5-6” at the soil with a little shoot about 4” up the trunk. I may go back in winter and pick it up 😍

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes very common, loads available at garden nurseries. Also loads growing in gardens, which is where I’ve collected seeds and seedlings.

Speaking of which, I saw an amazing bonsai potential trident this weekend at a nursery, the nebari must have been about 5-6” at the soil with a little shoot about 4” up the trunk. I may go back in winter and pick it up 😍
Box it up and send it to me. :)
Here they are rare as ticks on a marble donkey!

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Box it up and send it to me. :)
Here they are rare as ticks on a marble donkey!
The nursery I went to this weekend had about 6 in 60L bags and 10 or so in 100L bags ready for the landscape.

They also had 3 large ginkgos in 100L bags, one of which was a female and had very ripe fruit on it. A quick knock with a stick and I had 7 ginkgo seeds in my pocket 😍

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7 ginkgo seeds in my pocket
That is a jacket that will never smell sweet as roses anymore!

Be carefull, next time I am in South Africa I expect a big bare-rooted chopped trunk to take home!

Top Bottom