Trident & Shishio Improved Maples

dlquick

Seedling
Reaction score
Just picked up these two from Brent @ EvergreenGardenWorks. Should I do anything to these right away (pruning/shaping), or let them grow for a couple years. Neither have much movement in the trunks, and are about 3/8"-7/16" diameter at the base. I'd like to get these around 1-1/2-2" at the base. I have zero experience with maples.

Trident Maple (Acer Buergerianum)
IMG_0634.jpgIMG_0635.jpg

Shishio Improved (Acer Palmatum)
IMG_0631.jpgIMG_0632.jpg

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just picked up a 5 of those chishio from Brent last February . I was inspired by Bjorn's recent maple clump seedling video. (Fun project! )
To thicken the trunks plant in the ground. Search some threads on ground growing. Trident grows much faster so don't let it grow in the ground too long or the roots get ugly. Good luck! Also while your at it plant a bunch if you have space.
Here is a pic of my chishio improved clump.

Attachments

• 20210311_121000.jpg
    20210311_121000.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 26

dlquick

Seedling
Reaction score
I just picked up a 5 of those chishio from Brent last February . I was inspired by Bjorn's recent maple clump seedling video. (Fun project! )
To thicken the trunks plant in the ground. Search some threads on ground growing. Trident grows much faster so don't let it grow in the ground too long or the roots get ugly. Good luck! Also while your at it plant a bunch if you have space.
I do not have the best soil in the location where I live. Could I repot in a 5gal nursery pot, and get the same results?

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A large pond basket placed on the ground would work. Sometimes you run into watering problems if you use too large of a container for a small tree. When a pond basket is placed on the ground some roots will escape and help with growth and the thickening of trunks. Then you lift and cut the escaped roots in spring when the buds are swelling.

dlquick

Seedling
Reaction score
A large pond basket placed on the ground would work. Sometimes you run into watering problems if you use too large of a container for a small tree. When a pond basket is placed on the ground some roots will escape and help with growth and the thickening of trunks. Then you lift and cut the escaped roots in spring when the buds are swelling.
Could you recommend a certain size of pond basket, and should I use a certain type of potting medium?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When a pond basket is placed on the ground

I'm with this. The surface roots, the visible ones you need control of, and need to be airpruning to provide a great root situation for a future pot, are kept tidy and easy to manage.
And all your roots directly below the trunk live to power chop healing and growth.

That said, I think folks are to quick to mangle things back to a "nebari" that can't both physically remain aesthetically pleasing and grow out a trunk.

It makes sense to cultivate two totally different planes of roots at this stage.

Sorce

Top Bottom