Trident showing some issues, need guidance....

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi All,

I purchased this trident about 3 weeks ago from a very reputable seller here in Oregon. I noticed the change in some of the leaves a few days ago and am starting to get a little concerned. Where I live in Central Oregon it is extremely dry (10% humidity the other day but usually around 15-20 on a hot day) so I had kind of ruled out fungus, but the tree was raised in the Willamette valley where it is far more humid, so this issue could have come with the tree. And upon closer inspection I am seeing some white powder substance on some leaves. As you can see some of the leaves are changing to a red/yellow color and then dying. Some also are also quite yellow, could this be an Iron deficiency?

The tree is in a partial shade, it gets direct sun until about 11:00am and then 50% shade screen for the remainder of the day. I don't own any other maples to compare against, only Conifers which are all extremely healthy. This plant is potted in a coarse substrate mix that the seller uses and that I have always had good success with. It has been in the low-mid 90's this week so I have been watering every morning at 7:00am.

It looks to me to be a fungus but I just wanted a second, third and hopefully fourth opinion before I take some measures with a fungicide and/or Iron. I also have some Daconil on hand if need be.

Please check out the pictures below and let me know what you think, Thanks all it's much appreciated! :)

-Keaton

Photo Jun 07, 18 56 00.jpg Photo Jun 07, 18 56 28.jpg Photo Jun 07, 18 56 47.jpg Photo Jun 07, 19 00 38.jpg Photo Jun 07, 19 02 04.jpg Photo Jun 07, 19 03 34.jpg

Last edited:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Doesn't look fungal to me. I'd say it's either being over watered or its a deficiency (which is what I'm leaning towards).

Aaron

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@aaron, thanks for the input. I hope you are right! I wonder what the white powder is on the leaves, maybe just some sort of mildew?

@BonsaiButler Yes, it was purchased at Garlands....

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you water the leaves? Daily? What time?

...or...

Do you water just the top of the soil?

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@Smoke I misted the leaves three mornings (about 7:00am) when it was supposed to be quite hot. Other than that I just water at the soil level.

Edit: GF just informed that she may have misted them in the middle of the day three or four times when I was at work.....o_O

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'd say medium water ;). It's a good thought, but wouldn't my other tree's be struggling as well if this were the case? My hornbeam is seemingly healthy.

Edit: Just looked at my Hornbeam very closely and am starting to see the same sort of discoloration on some of the leaves as the Trident. Just seams to be happening a little slower.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right on nice tree. I almost bought it but decided on another trident from them.
This one had the better nebari of the two,but the one I bought had better branching and ramification.
Great price too.

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ah, you must have picked up the other I was looking at, nice! I love that one but wanted to work on the Ramification myself to get to understand maples a little better :).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also my tridents Leaves turned brown on the edges when I brought it home.
They had them both under cover from direct sun. My trident is taking its time getting acclimated. It hasn't started growing much.

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Same, very little growth to speak of. I've had mine in partial shade so hopefully it wasn't too harsh of a shock going from the valley climate to the high desert.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Looks ok to me....
But that 4th opinion is never really worth anything!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The tree is in a partial shade, it gets direct sun until about 11:00am and then 50% shade screen for the remainder of the day. I don't own any other maples to compare against, only Conifers which are all extremely healthy. This plant is potted in a coarse substrate mix that the seller uses and that I have always had good success with. It has been in the low-mid 90's this week so I have been watering every morning at 7:00am.

Get it out of the direct morning sun and in afternoon sun only during those hot spells - just looks like what all my Maples have done in the past when we get our two week killer heat streak. The morning sun coupled with high temps does a number on them here as well as roses and some other plants.

Grimmy

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@Grimmy Thank you for this I will find a new more mild location for it. Looks like temps are dropping for the next week so that will be good as well :)

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So, what do you all think? Based on this should I go ahead and do an Iron treatment? Or just alter my watering a little?

Reaction score
Looks like heat stress to me. Not sure. Normally watering the leaves is no problem, just make sure they are dry before evening and water the soil before you water the leaves. Changing from a more humid place to a dry place might be the issue... is there ground cover or grass available to raise humidity? Placed a tree that didn't do well on the grass, fast result...

Top Bottom