Trident Stump Starts

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year I got some new Trident stumps to work on. I needed something to do since lots of my collection is back in the ground (poor material that has to develop some character). I posted these on another thread but didn't want to hi-jack the thread. So I'll post a couple pics of each. I'm just getting started on each of them.

They were dug from a field last February. I named them just to differentiate them (not to sound ostentatious).

This would be a Western version of my "field of dreams". I got to spend an afternoon crawling around on my knees looking at stumps.

R. Knight.jpg

Last edited:

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Righty.jpgStumpy.jpgRumpy.jpg

The first one I named "righty" due to that perplexing right angle. The second I named "stumpy" because it was fat and I was feeling unimaginative. The third one is "rumpy" because it kinda had an ass on it.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was beyond gleeful to have these three stumps. All of them have very nice taper buried under the soil in the Anderson flats. I think we smashed tiles off two of them while they were dug. In the past I've been a bit overly aggressive with my stuff, so I let these guys sit and just grow over the entire last season. Since they lost a lot of roots when they were dug it seemed prudent. It killed me a little though, and I wanted to lay into them. Over the last year I had a chance to just study them. I noticed that despite they're nice shapes that two of them contained way more dead wood than I was hoping for. This wasn't ideal.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The right angle on righty also contained a "knuckle" at the elbow. It was one of them that contained way more dead wood than I wanted. I wasn't ready to stick it back in the ground to get rid of all the scars. I'm going to try to develop it scar tissue and all in the flat. This is what it became:

Righty.jpg

Excuse the poor photography. I told the Laurel bush to move but it just stood there.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stumpy has the most dead wood of them all and might end up being hollow. I also noted that a lot of the movement I initially saw in the single trunk was actually separate dead stumps. Again not ideal. I'm praying for lots of back budding. He looks like this now:

stumpy.jpg

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally there is Rumpy. Rumpys lower trunk was not fused and there was some inverse taper noted. I cut off his rump. I hope I don't regret that decision. It may never really heal. I could make him a twin trunk. What do you think?

Rumpy.jpg

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My plans were to begin to develop some main branches this year. I might let some areas grow out to help heal some scars. All these guys are going to be heavily scarred. Hopefully it will add interest instead of just making them look like hack jobs. Next spring I plan on doing some major root work. Advice (like... how aggressive I can be?) is much appreciated.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Jason, when I saw that you had named them, I saw that you named the first one - righty, then looked at the pics, and tried to choose names, not knowing what yours were. I came up with stumpy and lumpy....:)
You know with rough material, they can't all be winners. If you find one super tree from these, then you've probably beat the odds... That is where your vision must come into play. Where would you like to see these trees in 5 years, realistically given what they have to offer? If you can answer that, then you'll have a start of your answer for yourself.
I'm sure some folks will be able to guide you better than I, but I find that after the advice is given, it's still fine to pursue the slow road, and let the tree evolve and show you it's best path. You can do all the right things to develop the best aspects you can and decide where that path is later if you can't see it now.
I myself like stumpy.

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good looking material. I think that with a little work and planning, the area on rumpy where the rump was removed could end up as a nice flared base. Maybe alter the angle of the cut so it is less of a right angle to the trunk. I think tridents can usually heal over wounds well if they are given ample feeding and time.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy, I guess you were on the same wavelength with the names ;) I like stumpy too. There's lots of movement there. I think there will definitely be an evolution with this material. I'm actually just excited to see where they bud out this year. I'll continue to post little updates as I go. Provided bonsainut doesn't go the way of bonsai talk I should have a reasonable progression (I'll work on my photography too). And your right, Judy, If I get one nice tree out of these it will be well worth it. I'm just happy to be beyond the original trunk building phase with something. I've spent too much time watching little sticks trunk up in the ground.

Top Bottom