Trident styling or sell

ped

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all I acquired this trident last year I've not done much with it but now it's annoying me I unsure weather to loose this bottom branch any ideas welcome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 166

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Ped,

Welcome to the forum. Please update your profile with the state you live in so we can give you better advice.

The branch looks fine to me and it looks like a nice tree. I have to ask: are you keeping this tree indoors or did you just put it there for the picture?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks outdoors to me paradox, just in front of a wooden wall..

If the design of this tree is "annoying you" make a change! If it was mine, I would probably go another route though. Removing that lower left branch just puts too much distance between the base and first branch for me. I might take a look at the tree with that first branch as your new leader and a massive chop right where that branch is... This would probably lead to nice movement and you should get a first branch emerging somewhere lower on the right side... This is a total redesign, but you might be able to root the top you are removing (either as a cutting or air layer- which could potentially leave you with two trees as nice or better than the original!

Or, just leave it the way it is, get some wire on it, prune it up and polish it off this Fall and let the tree be what it is- a decent looking Trident Bonsai. They are not all going to be blue ribbon quality but I see some nice attributes in this tree- decent trunk girth, nice lower movement, lots of branches with decent ramification... I bet if you wired your branches into a cohesive unit with the lower branches pulled down a bit and better spacing in the top, the. That first branch might not annoy you quite so much!

First option it a long term drastic overhaul, second option is the quicker way to get a better tree but has limits as to how much better you can make this tree.

ped

Seed
Reaction score
thanks guys i just kinda see gaps within the tree and i keep thinking i need to give it a work but i think such a big job will need a expert watching over me , i like the 2 trees but not sure it is a fantastic idea tho

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello all I acquired this trident last year I've not done much with it but now it's annoying me I unsure weather to loose this bottom branch any ideas welcome

Looks like you need to lose the top. For my tastes this tree is a bit too tall in comparison to the size of its trunk. Can you post a picture right side up this fall/winter when the bones are more visible? That would be a better way for someone to give their advice.

Cheers,

B

ped

Seed
Reaction score
this is after fall its a bit better

Attachments

• 100_1090.jpg
    100_1090.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 96

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yeah the problem with a cell phone and a small screen...cant always see the details.

I still think this is a nice tree. Maybe a bit tall, but I like it nonetheless.

ped

Seed
Reaction score
ill repost in winter thing is now you mentioned the air layer im kinda convinced its a good idea thing is i payed 650 english pounds for it i have to make the right choice plus with only 6 in my collection i worry more than people with a bigger collection

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ill repost in winter thing is now you mentioned the air layer im kinda convinced its a good idea thing is i payed 650 english pounds for it i have to make the right choice plus with only 6 in my collection i worry more than people with a bigger collection

I'd worry too at 1077.00 USD.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Ped.

My first thought was airlayer too. Glad Eric agrees. With a few low branches cut off of it (a/l), it should look good in short order.

However. It seems your branching, if ever so slightly, is getting thicker to the top. Like it hasnt been properly thinned for a while.

I would leave it together a year or 2, work on shortening it, (maybe an air layer at the apex for practice and education), and getting your branching in proportion.

If it buds low enough, you can keep this one going. If the a/l is still a must, you can make a decision then.

These grow fast enough to do almost anything. One thing for sure, it does need something to "correct" it as is. Time is on your side.

And it is still enjoyable now!

Sorce

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Layering it to get that first branch closer to the base seems like a good idea. It also looks like the branches don't have any taper or decent movement. If you cut them back you can wire new growth, let it grow out, cut it back, rewire, cut it back, repeatedly to fix it.

Top Bottom