Trident with an identity crisis!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW Judy...have you chosen a front yet? Check somewhere between pic #1 and pic #3 (closer to pic #3)...with a minor back branch relocation to the left (and elimination of the V notch) it might give you a good front.

Just for your consideration (I know I am a pest and tenacious...just because I care ;) though it may not sound or seem like it at times.)

View attachment 33156 or View attachment 33167

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dario, I have no intentions at this time of loosing the v notch. My goal is to use pic one as the front currently, and allow the notch sides to heal pretty much to the point that they'll appear as the large base of the branches that come off them. I do not want to get rid of that back branch, and seems like the virt without it and the left side of the notch is a step backwards to me. My goal is to take this tree into a wide broom, not a triangular shape.
This is still of course in the first stages of progress on branches, (and I never say never) so there will I'm sure be many changes to the finished design.
Thanks for your concern.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dario, I have no intentions at this time of loosing the v notch. My goal is to use pic one as the front currently, and allow the notch sides to heal pretty much to the point that they'll appear as the large base of the branches that come off them. I do not want to get rid of that back branch, and seems like the virt without it and the left side of the notch is a step backwards to me. My goal is to take this tree into a wide broom, not a triangular shape.
This is still of course in the first stages of progress on branches, (and I never say never) so there will I'm sure be many changes to the finished design.
Thanks for your concern.

You are wise beyond your years..........
....stay the course

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be the cipro talking.....

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update on the tree today. I just did a first cutback and a little wiring on this, I didn't pinch much this spring. It's starting to look a bit better, the shape is starting to come across as I'm aiming for. Still a long way to go.

Attachments

• IMG_2606.jpg
    IMG_2606.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 118

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I agree with what others have said I really like your original front. Nice tree this ones gonna be something someday!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did a cutback and rewiring of this, I believe I'll get some good growth on these branches next year. I will take the wire off early and probably let it grow unchecked for the most part all year.

Attachments

• IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3075.jpg
    IMG_3075.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 114

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Love the muscular feel to this tree. Good job with the progression from where it started.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks dkraft, and llgy. That's what drew me to it in the first place, I like Am. hornbeam for that reason too. Hard to find though.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once in my Japanese club, I was narrating the demo during the exhibit. People like to learn about history and simple things that make bonsai fun. During my time to bloviate, I was able to offer this analogy about how cartoon animaters would be very good at bonsai due to the fact that moods can be set by the way the animators draw the trees. I think Walt Disney was the first to convey an image thru the way a tree is represented in our minds.

I had a couple of old timer friends of mine in the audiance that had been doing bonsai decades longer than I have and commented on how they had never looked at bonsai in that way.

As I gaze on this tree as it is presented most recently, I am struck at the melancholy feeling I get. This tree seems sad with the down turned branch tips, and overall feeling that the tree has given up.

I wonder what the tree could say with a little uplifting feeling in the branches?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like that the tree makes you feel that way. Sort of the feel I am after in a way, with a bit of creepy thrown in...

I plan on turning up tips of those once they get a bit longer, I don't imagine that I'll achieve the bend as much as it is now, will probably loose some once I unwire. But that cartoon thing, I really get that. I'd never actually thought about it, but I can see it in my head.
Thanks for taking a look at it!

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
"... analogy about how cartoon animators would be very good at bonsai due to the fact that moods can be set by the way the animators draw the trees...

Vaughn Banting once made a direct comparison between caricature, as in cartoons, and bonsai. In each case, the person doing it exaggerates certain characteristics, just enough, to convey an image, mood, setting, what-have-you.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great tree Judy. Like others have mentioned, the trunk conveys great strength already. Looks like you will have a wonderful tree in no time!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Jarrod, it will still take quite a bit of time in my climate. Smoke would be done with this one in a few more years with the growth he gets!

Grok42

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Makes me want to try a trident

I want to keep the number of tree species down as I'm starting off so I'm going to stick with Boxwood and Cypress if I can but this thread and some of Smoke's really makes me want to get some tridents to work with. We'll see if I stay smart and restrain myself for 2014.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can tell you that trident would make a good addition to your crew. They are hardy trees. Thanks for the compliment!

Top Bottom