Trident with an identity crisis!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will take the wire off early and probably let it grow unchecked for the most part all year.

I have no idea about the climate of Ohio or how long your growing season is or anything to do with tridents in your climate. What I am struck about is now that you have a pretty good branch structure, why you will grow unchecked, rather than cutting for branch devision?

Do you wish these branches larger or something?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I guess I should have been a bit clearer...
Yes I do want some more branch thickening, I want the branches to mirror the muscular trunk a bit better. That's why I'd like to give it one more year of grow out. I would like the branches to feel heavy off the trunk.
Here in Ohio it's really just a short season, gotta make the most of it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
But now you've got me thinking, maybe I should ask the question, do you think that I'll see enough thickening just by starting to grow the branching structure? Maybe unchecked growth is not needed??

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But now you've got me thinking, maybe I should ask the question, do you think that I'll see enough thickening just by starting to grow the branching structure? Maybe unchecked growth is not needed??

I think as you develop ramification on those branches they will naturally thicken a bit. The question is just how much thicker you want them to be than they currently are.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Judy at this point I don't think you need to either. You can start developing your branch structures and as daygan said they will keep thickening gradually. However, you can also do both depending on your vision. If you want some of the branches much thicker, then you can select areas to be left to grow unchecked for more speedy thickening while you develop other areas more slowly and gradually.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy at this point I don't think you need to either. You can start developing your branch structures and as daygan said they will keep thickening gradually. However, you can also do both depending on your vision. If you want some of the branches much thicker, then you can select areas to be left to grow unchecked for more speedy thickening while you develop other areas more slowly and gradually.

Great idea m5, that will be the plan.
Good deal milly, post it up when u get a chance!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Judy nice tree the upward growing branch on the left that has another brach crossing in front of it is throwing off the balance of the apex to me I do not think it is necessary . What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Seth,
I am trying to find the branch that you are talking about. Is is maybe in one of the before pics, and got moved? I would like to see what you are seeing here, can you describe it more?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Seth,
I am trying to find the branch that you are talking about. Is is maybe in one of the before pics, and got moved? I would like to see what you are seeing here, can you describe it more?

Sure in post # 46 on pic #3 it is on the upper left of the apex on the bottom side of the trunk chop( right side) appears it is growing straight up and has another branch directly delow it growing horizontally in those photos it appears you have a branch on the upper part of the trunk chop( Left sode of apex)that is crossing in the front or rrear of this vertical branch . In pic #4 of same post it is the right branch being guie wired down . to me if this was to be removed it would balance the apex and not confuse the eye in winter phase . Mabye this is just a sacrifitial branch for wound healing not sure. Just my 2c..

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is an update after some wiring and pruning work. There is more movement on the left high branch than it appears in the photo, 2d sucks... I can't say that the pictures look great, but the tree in person is vastly improved. I did some reductions on the chop site, so the taper is better in appearance. These take a long time in an area with cold winters.
P1000197.jpg P1000198.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hey Judy it looks great. I'll like it even more when you shorten that branch above your V-cut.
And it has a belly button, so how can you not love it, right?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree Don, I just want to get a lower branch to pop on it, so I can cut back to it, and get a more rounded crown. I don't mind that it's a bit heavy, but don't want to let it get out of proportion either.
Just looked again, are you referring to the apex branch or the left horizontal one, cause I almost cut the horizontal one back. But to get a nice rounded shape, I think I need that length or close to. I'll take another look in person.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might have to change the thread title.
The identity crisis seems quite over.
This is definitely one of Judy's trees!

Which is a great thing you know?

I could tell a good wiring job by the way you almost can't tell the wire from the branch. The wiggle yes?

The planting depth is excellent now from 2011. Very strong base. Love it..
Still trying to work those roots down?

How's that big scar in the back healing?

How strong? Too strong!

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nothing to add but thanks for sharing and looking good Judy. You are bringing it along nicely and these progressions are what makes my bonsai world go round.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Might have to change the thread title.
The identity crisis seems quite over.
I almost did that, but I do like to keep the progressions I have going, as it serves as a record of the tree for me. Maybe with the new site I can change it.

I recut the back scar, it's never going to heal completely. It's just a big uro basically.

Thanks all for looking and taking the time to reply!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This looks great. Reminds me of the full sized trees around where I live. Just need to get the ramification on the branches. Our climates are probably pretty similar so it gives me a good idea about how long a project like this will take me. Thanks for sharing. And keep us updated!

Top Bottom