trim and shave

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
i have given my japanes larch a new haircut sorry no b4 photos. I was origanally given this as a present it was supposed to be a 3 year old bonsai from a mail order company which i thinned out when i first got it but was'nt sure what to do next. Now feeling a little more confident i chopped some more. Doe it need a little more removed or is that enough

Attachments

• IMAG0021.jpg
    IMAG0021.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0023.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 103

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it Japanese or Golden larch?

The reason i ask is that i too had a Thompson and Morgan Golden Larch as a gift and i was wondering where the rest of them had got to.

Truly my specimen was and is an awkward shape.

It grows a splendid head of leaves and i pinch these new stems back if they extend too far.

Only had it a year so it's still early days.

Is the date set correctly?

Last edited:

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
It could actually be golden larch. I was given it by my girlfriends mother. It is a thomson and morgan
it was a right mess when i got it it has taken me 3 years to get it looking the way it does now and i'm still not happy with it but it is a considerable improvement. The date is not accurate my camera has a mind of its own the photo was taken the day b4 i posted the photo's

Would it be possible to buthcer it some more and create a literati or is the shape not right ??

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
your soil is far too heavy for optimal growth...

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
The soil is not as heavy as it looks in the photo i have used john innes number 3 as reccomended in a book but what would you suggest to remedy and what kind of consistency is ideal.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It rather depends on whats available,mine has yet to be totally bare rooted even though i remember it arriving in mostly moss.

Last year it coped with moss,Sophisticat pink,miracle grow bagged compost and orchid bark from the reptile shop.

This year it had some Kanuma added,is it ideal,maybe or maybe not.

John Innes is crying out for some added sharp grit at the very least.

Is it the right time of year to be ripping it out in frustration,probably not.

You could swish away the upper layer of soil and spoon out any areas you feel have no roots,then fill with a more readily airated soil.

A pot full of claggy earth is not the best,as long as the bulk of he roots remain undisturbed it should be okay to fiddle.

Top Bottom