Trim roots?

Bapz

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have bought 3 bonsai trees (2 are juniper and I am not sure of the other one) but I am not sure if I should trim the roots or not. I bought an akadama soil mix to replant them in, as they came in potting soil.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 15913202191152606642474751961143.jpg
    15913202191152606642474751961143.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Bapz

Seed
Reaction score
Here are pictures of the other 2. They also feel very dry. I am super scared to over water because I have killed one many years ago and do not want a repeat. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 15913203334552675482313498945292.jpg
    15913203334552675482313498945292.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 32

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where do you live? Down under I hope. You sure don't want a bare rooted juniper this time of the year in the northern hemisphere.

Bapz

Seed
Reaction score
Where do you live? Down under I hope. You sure don't want a bare rooted juniper this time of the year in the northern hemisphere.
I am in New York City, USA, so I guess that's not good. I am actually repotting them now and realized I was not sure what to do with the roots.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in New York City, USA, so I guess that's not good. I am actually repotting them now and realized I was not sure what to do with the roots.
I don't know what to tell you. Hope the roots haven't dried to much. Soak them and get them in some soil and hope. If they get a bit off color in the next few weeks their toast.

Bapz

Seed
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. Hope the roots haven't dried to much. Soak them and get them in some soil and hope. If they get a bit off color in the next few weeks their toast.
Thanks I just put them all in soil, I hope they arent toast, the roots were only out for about 3 minutes or so. Thank you, I do appreciate it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Roots do not dry out so quick. I see many people constantly spraying roots during repot but it is wasted effort. Roots can withstand dry for a few hours or so, some species much longer.
I think root pruning is the real problem because active root tips that take in moisture are removed and the tree dehydrates before new roots can grow.
Slip potting and repotting with minimum root pruning is fine most times of year.
I hope your junipers come through OK.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks I just put them all in soil, I hope they arent toast, the roots were only out for about 3 minutes or so. Thank you, I do appreciate it.
A few minutes isn't bad at all but the timing is bad. I wish you the best, and your little trees too.
Don't give up if they fail and I hope they don't give up on you.
It is so easy to jump right in and think we are doing the right thing when it isn't the right thing at all. We have all done it and we have all killed a few plants.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It almost a full moon ain't it?

You should be ok.

But don't fear overwatering.

Fear dry.

Sorce

Top Bottom