Trim to one main branch? (New to Bonsai!)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There is a problem with common names. There are at least 5 species of holly native to Japan. There are two that are quite common as bonsai, Ilex crenata and Ilex serrata. Ilex dimorphophylla is another commonly grown Japanese holly. Judging by the leaves, my guess would be Ilex crenata.

👍

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always best to read these threads, let the discussion go a few pages. Then if you like one of the options offered, only then pull out your cutting tools. And only cut the way you want to do it.
Yes. Surprising how quick some are to start chopping based on one response.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not a problem, I just made a "strong statement" in order to get the OP to not cut anything off without considering all possibilities. Didn't mean to make you feel like I "checked you" or "blocking you", I just know from experience that sometimes in the "New To Bonsai" threads, the original poster is reading the replies with scissors in hand and will cut as soon as someone says cut here. That is the source of the emphatic tone of my post, nothing more than that.

Always best to read these threads, let the discussion go a few pages. Then if you like one of the options offered, only then pull out your cutting tools. And only cut the way you want to do it.

I understand completely, as shown in my membership status I'm brand new to The Forum world as it is so I was excited jumping on any post I saw for a brief moment.no offense taken, I also expected to be put in my place so to speak ,coming off like I think I have an idea what I'm talking about while rocking a Seedling badge LOL my dad raised me always talkin about Bonsai and he had trees when I was younger he got into it when we lived in California but since we've been in New Jersey it kind of fizzled out and next thing you know 20 years goes by and now I'm about to be 30 and I do Tree Service to pay the bills so I'm constantly in nature and something hit me like a lightning bolt that I need to re pick up what I was taught as a young skid mark so really I only have this last year and a half of active obsession.i too have much to absorb

I bore my girlfriend to death with Bonsai talk and I've turned a select few of my friends into the hobby but even then I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. Ill learn the ways of the forum-dont wanna look like some d bag out here lol I have some pic documentation for a decent amount of things ive extracted..im trying to put them together for coherent posts

Just pulled two more on nature walk today! Lol like i said just excited to have ppl to share with since I do something related almost every day

But not to plug my lifestory into this post-

Last edited:

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Go slow. Just pulling things out will lead to disappointment. Better to plan a little and come back with the right tools.
I actually keep a bag in my car off all the tools id need,and one thing I will lend myself is that I rarely kill on extraction,the soil was incredibly loose this time around so i didnt hike back to my car for little claw and shovel,they were basically asking for it lol and also I was in a super random spot I was weighing it out for sure but i landed on taking them because I didnt think id find my way back..(used stick and a slate peice nearby and worked it out I didnt LITERALLY reach down and give it all my mighty)if I'm somewhere i probably won't revisit juat because its somewhere in the woods where im working,i get a little more daring

Cant figure out how to pindrop with my droid for some reason otherwise that would be a novel idea

Not arguing or disagreeing one bit btw

Last edited:

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting thread @PaulTx0121. Appears significant improvement. Looks like you’re leaning towards something like @leatherback post #8 (and other folks) suggested, that made/makes sense to me too -albeit my limited experience.

That said, and regarding request of general thoughts (maybe I missed this addition -thought I read em’, apologies if redundant), holly like a boxwood will go into almost complete stasis in a bonsai pot (maybe mine just need to take hold, but still so slow)...so incredibly slo,,,,,and refining themselves sure...but slowed way down🦦🌝

second thoughts, whatever this, it’s round now, like a tree in a field, a good make out picnic tree perhaps...everybody want them golden triangles

Top Bottom