Trimming Azaleas, Post Bloom

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have been trimming azaleas for the past few days, getting them ready for the next season. I really have too many, I need to downsize, or not, lol. Anyway, I thought I would share, showing how far I cut them back after flowering. What do you think?

First, Momo no Haru, a satsuki. This one is prefect for cascade, it has a naturally low growth habit. It has actually had very little wire training.

Before

DSC00002-1.jpg

The flower is kinda unremarkable, just a pinkish purple regular bloom, but it does bloom throughout the year

DSC00003-1.jpg

After

DSC00004-1.jpg

I hope to remove one of the bottom limbs next year, I am using them to heal a wound that was discovered after purchase

DSC00007-1.jpg

DSC00009-1.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Very nice!

Thanks!

Like it! good to see work being done to set up the future. Everybody shows azaleas in flower. Not hard pruned so much, not very pretty then. LOL.

Thanks, you are right, not much on post flowering. A lot of people don't realize how much work azaleas are when it comes to keeping them as bonsai, they are always wanting to be a bush and will become one in only a couple of seasons it you don't stay on top of it. I hope to post more tonight, working days this weekend, which means getting up at 3AM and not getting back home until 6:30PM. The sandman was hitting me hard last night while I was trying to edit photos/ post, I finally gave up.

John

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This one is for @Cadillactaste , it is a satsuki chinzan that I started as a negari style several years ago. I still need to clean the root area out to show off the "cage".

View attachment 195088

View attachment 195089

View attachment 195090

View attachment 195091

Ignore the Gumpo Pink label, I reused the pot.
You speak a my language! ?I sort of remember this project...possibly. NICE! Thanks for the tag!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So you prune the interior heavily, but leave some leaves on the very end of the branches?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
So you prune the interior heavily, but leave some leaves on the very end of the branches?

Short answer, yes. The long answer is that there is a little more to it. I have an article that I have written for my website on how I do it that I hope to post this week. Work has been keeping busy this week.

On azaleas, with my nine- ten month growing season, if I don't cut and thin them hard each year, they will quickly grow back into a bush. This happens really quick, if allowed to grow freely, in season's time the design that you have chosen for it will barely be recognizable. They are beasts when it comes to growth.

I start by pruning out all of the downward growth and the straight upward growth. I then reduce the whorls of new growth that occurs around the flowers to two shoots and cut them (unless I need to lengthen the branch) back to one or two pairs of leaves. I then take a look at the branches and cut back to twos ( make sure all branch divisions have only two branches at a "fork", not three or four). After that, I wire things into position, if needed. The result of all of this is what you see here. I know that it looks harsh, but it will be completely filled in again by the end of the summer.

Like this one:

2-7-2018
DSC06812-1.jpg
DSC06813-1.jpg
DSC06820-1.jpg

2-26-2018

DSC07422-1.jpg

6-2-2018, filled back in and getting its first haircut of 2018

DSC09957-1.jpg

DSC09961-1.jpg

It will get at least one or two more trims before I lay off for flowering. Last year I trimmed too late and had no buds form.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Short answer, yes. The long answer is that there is a little more to it. I have an article that I have written for my website on how I do it that I hope to post this week. Work has been keeping busy this week.

Nice pictorials :) Looking forward to your article - you have no idea how much time it will save me explaining the process, especially "whorl control" on the phone here along with the rest of the process on the phone or in e-mails :p

Grimmy

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John,

I know a lot of these have pretty good trunks already but the ones that are still being developed you still cut back soo much. I would think, and not knowing much about the topic, that you would want to let the tree bush out to add foliage after foliage in order to build girth in the trunk.

The response above about trimming upwards, downwards, trimming to twos, etc makes sense for I guess what I would consider ramification but do you still trim these this way even if you are trying to grow a tree and get some trunk girth?

Top Bottom