Trimming Bonsai

nrsmd

Seed
Reaction score
Watching YouTube, the best time to trim Bonsai is summer and winter. But, if Bonsai are kept indoors all the time, does the season matter when to trim? That is, if kept indoors, do Bonsai have seasons?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jerry Meislik keeps his tropical inside 24/7.

You still want to allow a tree good growth before trimming. A strong healthy bonsai is one that was permitted to look less tidy at times to just be permitted to grow. That produces a strong root system. I would say we prune when they are actively growing. Even inside they slow down at times through winter. Mine still grow, don't get me wrong. But...they do slow at times too. Those resting periods I would not prune.

nrsmd

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you. I am eager to have that "Bonsa look," but can wait for a while. Two other questions, if you can.

I have a few flying bugs around my Bonsai. I got most of them but was wondering if Neem oil is OK to spray once weekly.

I bought a grow light that shines with 3 different light wavelengts and can be on for 3, 9 or 12 hours each day. My plants have no access to sunlight. What do you recommend?
Mudikic Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Full Spectrum Plant Grow Light, 40W 80 Led Grow Light with 10 Dimmable Levels, 3 9 12h Timer, 3 Switch Modes (Size 1)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My experience with these three bulb clamp set up was not impressed. T bulbs which are more old school worked better for me than this set up. My tropical and I stress tropical do 18 hours of lights on them. Not 12, and I half wondered if that was the hiccup in that clamp set up I purchased when my tree outgrew the grow cart which has T bulbs. I now have a hydrofarm grow light with a LED corn bulb in it for this tree. Because it sulked horrible with the set up you see in the image.

As Ryan asked...what species are you growing inside?
The below set up was horrible for my growing experience. My knowledge on bulbs are only what I've used.
FB_IMG_1597927404513.jpg

nrsmd

Seed
Reaction score
I have 3 Bonsai:

Juniper
Ginseng grafted Fiscus
Dwarf Grewia "Star of David"

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have 3 Bonsai:

Juniper
Ginseng grafted Fiscus
Dwarf Grewia "Star of David"
Ficus are great beginner trees! Adam Lavigne has a good blog on ginseng ficus. I will have to look it up for you. Some in the hobby have a hiccup with them. But they are great beginner trees. They have potential as well. Adam had a few blog topics on your species. I chose one. But feel free to use his search engine.

Dwarf Grewia...not familiar with the species. My tropical area is full so I've not extended my knowledge into trees I don't own.

But sadly,I've only known juniper to die a slow death inside. They really need to be outside and a winter dormancy.

If you could update your profile ones will be better to assist you for future reference in any questions. So much care can be location based.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is, if kept indoors, do Bonsai have seasons?

What are you watching on YouTube?

90% chance it's Garbage.

Welcome to Crazy!

Seems you're in this ever popular newb position where you're learning a Bonsai is just a real tree.

Same like a Cat needs a Mouse, Their Souls want Seasons, they'll die trying to get them inside.

Cept fer Ficus I reckon!

Sorce

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My experience with these three bulb clamp set up was not impressed. T bulbs which are more old school worked better for me than this set up. My tropical and I stress tropical do 18 hours of lights on them. Not 12, and I half wondered if that was the hiccup in that clamp set up I purchased when my tree outgrew the grow cart which has T bulbs. I now have a hydrofarm grow light with a LED corn bulb in it for this tree. Because it sulked horrible with the set up you see in the image.

As Ryan asked...what species are you growing inside?
The below set up was horrible for my growing experience. My knowledge on bulbs are only what I've used.
View attachment 358478

I have what looks like the same 3 gooseneck LED light. I grow a couple of orchids under it. The lights are on 12 hours a day 365 days a year and it's the only real light they get. They seem to be doing fine ;)

20210305_115922.jpg

BUT...these are lower light orchids. About the same light conditions as African violets.

When I measure my lights with a lux meter at the height of the leaves in that picture, I read ~12Klux. Full sun is >100Klux. These lights are not bright enough for most trees :(

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have what looks like the same 3 gooseneck LED light. I grow a couple of orchids under it. The lights are on 12 hours a day 365 days a year and it's the only real light they get. They seem to be doing fine ;)

View attachment 358502

BUT...these are lower light orchids. About the same light conditions as African violets.

When I measure my lights with a lux meter at the height of the leaves in that picture, I read ~12Klux. Full sun is >100Klux. These lights are not bright enough for most trees :(
They were horrible for bougainvillea. Who need bright light. But even thrived under old T grow bulbs. They do look the same...as I had. Good to know they are helpful to lower light plants. Epic fail and my bougainvillea sulked through winter. It's the only reason I went all out and offered it the light system as found in my cold greenhouse for when spring arrives and saves me an early two stepping. Thanks for the information on those gooseneck lights.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Grewia is a tropical, must be grown frost free. It likes really bright light. Outdoors it can handle full sun, though blooms fine outdoors with part shade, maybe 4 to 6 hours direct sun. Indoors, they need the brightest light you can give them. They like water, do not allow to get bone dry between watering. Feed moderately.

Ficus is relatively easy tropical. It can take full sun outdoors, and it can keep growing in full shade. Indoors medium to bright light is best.

Junipers, in general are outdoor trees. Juniperus procumbens can survive indoors, but it is somewhat difficult to grow indoors. All the other species of juniper really do much better with at least a cool dormancy. Both the procumbens juniper and the shimpaku juniper are winter hardy in the Chicago region, so it is pretty "unnatural" to try to grow them indoors year round. But if you don't have the ability to grow Juniper outdoors, Juniperus procumbens is the one species that has a proven possible to grow indoors. Bright light is essential for indoor growth.

Top Bottom