Trimming new growth on cypress

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Curious… About how much new growth should be removed from a cypress in order to get the tree to focus energy to leader?
6ECF3449-73BF-45B5-A00F-3BA785A64677.jpeg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Geez what a vague question.... that'll teach me to post on the fly!
Sorry.
I guess what Im asking is... is it safe to remove most of the new growth on my tree? I have left 3 or 4 branches and now it looks like a bush. Will trimming most of this new growth help with the progression of the leader?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 0 experience with cypress so can not really help. I think the tree overall is very healthy looking and a nice shade of green. Looks great. Sorry I can't be of any help except to bump your post!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
There's nothing wrong with aggressively cutting back newly lignified growth on an established and strongly growing baldie... you can do this 3-4 times a growing season on most trees. This begs the question.... is the tree you're referencing in this thread an established and strongly growing baldie?? In other words, I would be reluctant to do this to a newly collected tree or one that had recently had most of its roots removed.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
First is it a well established tree and are you happy with the thickness of the trunk? If not then let the thing grow wild. If you are happy and it is healthy and ready to go then pinch, snip, cut or whatever you desire to shape the tree. These things grow like weeds and will backbud all over the trunk and branches, so you have almost infinite control over what will develop. They are also so apically dominant that you won’t have any problems with developing the apex. For the best info on dveloping them go to Zach Smith’s bonsai-south.com website, he is the man when it comes to these!

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Dav4
Thanks for the reply!
Yes... the tree is healthy and fairly established in the sense it’s been in my care for a number of years.... not just collected.

@Cofga
I am happy with the thickness however I am trying to create more of a taper at the top with the leader… I guess I’m wanting to know if removing the new growth below the leader will encourage Growth at the top.
Agreed! Zach has been amazingly helpful!!!!

Top Bottom