Trimming Redwood Bonsai

Reaction score
I just got my first Bonsai. It is a Dawn Redwood and I would welcome tips on how and when I should trim some of the longer branches at the tops of these trees? Thanks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I just got my first Bonsai. It is a Dawn Redwood and I would welcome tips on how and when I should trim some of the longer branches at the tops of these trees? Thanks.

I'm surprised nobody else answered by now.

Dawn redwood are ''true redwoods'' in that the coast redwood and giant sequoia are pretty closely related. But they come from a climate that is much more like Chicago than California. (in China of coarse). Closely related to the redwoods, but not in the same sub-family is the bald cypress. Since both Dawn Redwood and Bald Cypress come from swamp habitats, and are deciduous, they have converged in their growth habits. What I am rambling on about, you can treat Dawn Redwood very much like a Bald Cypress.

Differences are that Dawn redwood should only be stood in water in summer, and Dawn Redwood are much more cold tolerant than Bald Cypress.

As to styling, the mature styles for Bald Cypress, the ''flat top'' is probably not a natural style for dawn redwood. You will need to seek out photos from China to find out what they look like as centurian or millennial aged trees. They probably live for more than 1000 years if the environment is right. Oldest trees outside of China are only 70 years old or so.

They grow FAST. I prune mine the first time a few days after the summer solstice. I prune long leaders and branches to a scale appropriate length. Look for where buds are, prune back to just above a bud. The second time I prune in late summer, and then late winter - early spring I remove wire, then re-wire the tree.

Forest purchased in 2016
DSCN4320.jpg

after splitting forest temporarily in 2018, will be reassembled sometime in the future.
left half
IMG_20181104_162027103.jpg

right half
IMG_20181106_153940357.jpg

click on thumbnails to enlarge

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have had my one metasequoia for about 2 years so don't know a whole lot, which is why I have been hesitant to respond.
Mine grows like crazy and I have been able to trim it at various times during the growth session (late spring to late fall) and it seems to respond well with back budding and ramification.
I did a trunk chop of mine last summer (don't recall exactly when) it responded with vigorous growth and the scar is healing over nicely.
I did some wiring and trimming of mine in order to open up the foliage and encourage some lower/inner growth just last week. Not ideal, nor do I recommend it, but it also does not seem to be terminal. I would mention that much of the new green foliage is very delicate and I broke a few branches in the process.

So I would recommend following Leo's advice (he knows WAY more than I do), but know they are at least a little forgiving of small abuses...if not mine would be long dead by now.

Top Bottom