Trip to Charlotte, NC

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Nuts!

I’m heading to Charlotte from Atlanta this Friday for business but want to make the most of it. Any bonsai related business/nursery I should stop at? I’m thinking bonsai learning center and Bella bonsai for now. Thank you for any additional recommendation!

Mini-bonsai

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Nuts!

I’m heading to Charlotte from Atlanta this Friday for business but want to make the most of it. Any bonsai related business/nursery I should stop at? I’m thinking bonsai learning center and Bella bonsai for now. Thank you for any additional recommendation!

Mini-bonsai
The bonsai learning center is actually in Statesville now...maybe 45 minutes north of Charlotte. It is definitely worth the visit but make sure to contact Brad and make arrangements ahead of time...he doesn't have regular business hours. I have never been to Bella Bonsai...I'm told he is developing a lot of pre bonsai material in the ground but that is all I know.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The bonsai learning center is actually in Statesville now...maybe 45 minutes north of Charlotte. It is definitely worth the visit but make sure to contact Brad and make arrangements ahead of time...he doesn't have regular business hours. I have never been to Bella Bonsai...I'm told he is developing a lot of pre bonsai material in the ground but that is all I know.
For planning purposes, think - 77 north to the 40, and the 40 about 5 miles west.

If you can get Tyler Sherrod to respond, you might be able to visit him in Hickory (about 30 minutes further west). I have never been there, but I will one day :)

CaptColin

Sapling
Reaction score
Bella Bonsai has tons of material in the ground, he just dug a shimpaku for me that I'm going to pick up in May. I was there in October and he didn't have any junipers in pots so I paid him for that one and left it in the ground over winter. Lots of other stuff and great guy for a chat. Enjoy your trip

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Green Thumb isn't far off 85 in Greenville SC, and he's got more than just the pre-bonsai on his website.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
For planning purposes, think - 77 north to the 40, and the 40 about 5 miles west.

If you can get Tyler Sherrod to respond, you might be able to visit him in Hickory (about 30 minutes further west). I have never been there, but I will one day :)
That’s crazy!! I just met him last week during his demo at the Atlanta show

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Bella Bonsai has tons of material in the ground, he just dug a shimpaku for me that I'm going to pick up in May. I was there in October and he didn't have any junipers in pots so I paid him for that one and left it in the ground over winter. Lots of other stuff and great guy for a chat. Enjoy your trip
Larry have a good sense of humor and sooo many trees. I got couple Yabai ume from him

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Met Brad today, super cool guy. Share a lot other hobbies with him. Amazing garden set-up and lots of beautiful trees. What a day

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hate I missed this post! I’m here in Charlotte. It wouldn’t have made a difference if you had as I’m tied up this weekend. But… If you make it back this way drop me a message. I have plenty trees you can dig through 🤣

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I hate I missed this post! I’m here in Charlotte. It wouldn’t have made a difference if you had as I’m tied up this weekend. But… If you make it back this way drop me a message. I have plenty trees you can dig through 🤣
I’m here until tomo night, let me know if your schedule open up. Let’s dig!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m here until tomo night, let me know if your schedule open up. Let’s dig!
Is there anything in particular that you are looking for? Btw, look out for food lion grocery stores here that have trees out front. This year they has some good sized landscape bald cypresses for $17.99 mixed in. Decent 1.5-2 inch trunks for a starter trees.

Last edited:

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Is there anything in particular that you are looking for? Btw, look out for food lion grocery stores here that have trees out front. This year they has some good sized landscape bald cypresses for $17.99 mixed in. Decent 1.5-2 inch trunks for a starter trees.
Prob going to stop at Lion tomo. I saw it driving around earlier. Thought it was a cool name for grocery

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Met Brad today, super cool guy. Share a lot other hobbies with him. Amazing garden set-up and lots of beautiful trees. What a day
He's got a couple of trees from me. I have to get over there and check out how they are doing! I haven't been over there since last fall.

Top Bottom