Trip to Japan: Part 1[ Taisho-en] ***** PIC INTENSIVE!!!******

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There are no words to descried this caliber of bonsai. I have always said that a tree should be judged on it's own merit, which is good because if this is indicative of judging criteria, I am not sure a competition would even be necessary.. He wins.:D

Seriously though... Thank you for showing this. Whenever I see bonsai from Japan. It has an omnipotent quality.

Rob

Yes Rob, the sheer level of quality and artistry smacked me like a ton of bricks. It was initially difficult for me to focus and was overwhelmed! Absolutely breathtaking!!

Sigh... These are so amazing, heartbreaking, and inspiring!

Indeed I felt for a moment a sense of despair seeing so many beautiful masterpieces together in one place. Then despair turned into incredible inspiration.

It's worth noting that Mr. Urushibata goes often to auctions where he buys trees and then reshapes them into his own vision. Most if not all, with the exception of his Shohin, where acquired trees from other people.

I work with computers everyday, I remote into networks to do work daily, and continue to be amazed at what we can do sitting in our office or home. And now you have taken me on a trip that I could not have ever done. Thank you for taking the time to take and Share your pictures, they are awesome!

Thank you! That is exactly what I was hoping to accomplish with this post. I wanted to take you guys on a journey with me. To have you guys enjoy and appreciate the same things as I was walking through this place.

Trip of a lifetime. I am not shocked about growing fat tridents in pots and not in the ground!

Al, I was! It was interesting to know that a lot of Japanese bonsai people have grown many of their trees in pots. Mr. Urushibata has grown some of his maple Shohin for 40+ years in a pot!! Amazing!!

"Wow!" Incredible trees! Inspirational! He's obviously a very generous and talented man. Thank You for sharing your pics and trip with us!

Thank you! Yes he is a kind and soft spoken man as well as being an incredible artist!

Thanks for sharing, I could walk around in there for days.:D

Yes I could too!! It was so difficult to focus on any one piece since there was so much to see. I wished I had another day or two to go back there.

NoooOoooO! What happened to the pictures! I need pictures! :D

You have may exceeded your bandwidth limit at Photobucket! Try hosting it here http://imgur.com/

Hmmm...you're not able to see the pics?? I checked and have more than enough space on Photobucket left.

How wonderful, I am so happy that you were able to have such a great experience. And how fortunate that we are for you to share it with us. Overwhelming. Such power, I wonder how it will transform your practice?

Thanks Judy! It was great. While there I could not wipe the smile off my face! I am so happy to be able to share this with my BNut friends. While I was there I kept thinking about all you guys and could not wait to get back to share! :) I also wonder too how it will affect my practice moving forward. This to me was another solid step towards learning my craft and try and keep getting better at it. It never hurts to be exposed to some of the best this art has to offer! I had so, so many questions I wanted to ask but alas time was short :( Amazing experience regardless!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I clearly need to go to Japan for lessons on tree organization. :D The garden looks beautiful!

The experience was doubtlessly amazing. Your photos of it do it credit. Well done... and I have no doubt he appreciated your enthusiasm. Who wouldn't?? :D A kid in the proverbial candy store = great joy. :)

I think my favorite was the one with the deadwood that haloed the foliage. I wouldn't change a thing. :) And that's actually saying something...lol

Many thanks,

Victrinia

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I clearly need to go to Japan for lessons on tree organization. :D The garden looks beautiful!

The experience was doubtlessly amazing. Your photos of it do it credit. Well done... and I have no doubt he appreciated your enthusiasm. Who wouldn't?? :D A kid in the proverbial candy store = great joy. :)

I think my favorite was the one with the deadwood that haloed the foliage. I wouldn't change a thing. :) And that's actually saying something...lol

Many thanks,

Victrinia

Thanks Vic! Yes that piece is remarkable and immediately recognized it when I walked in. It is very distinctive and has been the subject of many articles. I was told that in one storm, the tree fell to the ground! Thankfully only a small back branch had broken off. Can't imagine if that fragile looking piece of deadwood haloing the tree had shattered!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's a miracle that so little damage was sustained. I've never seen it before, but I'm not a magazine hound like the hubby is, so I was delighted by it. I imagine you were more so, to see something in person you had admired before.

I find the pancake nebari interesting... though maybe for the wrong reasons. I'd love to dissect one in cross cuts from different angels to see how the wood grows. :cool: (not a live one of course) My jury has been out for years on how I feel about that style... it's admirable - from a technical standpoint - and it's beautiful in it's own strange way. I just haven't decided if I love it. :)

V

Reaction score
oyakata looks good! love that place. Thanks for sharing pictures. I haven't been in a couple of years now.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's a miracle that so little damage was sustained. I've never seen it before, but I'm not a magazine hound like the hubby is, so I was delighted by it. I imagine you were more so, to see something in person you had admired before.

I find the pancake nebari interesting... though maybe for the wrong reasons. I'd love to dissect one in cross cuts from different angels to see how the wood grows. :cool: (not a live one of course) My jury has been out for years on how I feel about that style... it's admirable - from a technical standpoint - and it's beautiful in it's own strange way. I just haven't decided if I love it. :)

V

Yes I understand. I also admire the pancakes for their technical merit. This is classic Japanese approach. They take from nature and then adapt it and highly stylize it. In my opinion it is most clear in their junipers. At no point do I think they are trying to mimic nature, but rather create expressive abstractions based on it. This in sharp contrast to someone like Walter Pall (whom I happen to also love) who bases his vision on how nature actually works. This is a polarizing subject than often pulls people one way or another. I happen to admire both takes on this.

oyakata looks good! love that place. Thanks for sharing pictures. I haven't been in a couple of years now.

Hi John. Yes he does! I also know you've spent time with Oyakata. I am very jealous!!

Thanks for sharing. :)

I told you I would take pics!! :D

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am amazed by your presence of mind to bring your BF #115 (92/115) ;)

Thanks again for letting us join your tour....esp since most of us will never get to visit such a place. :cool:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
sweet mother of god, those trees!!! incredible.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mach5,

Thanks for sharing some of your trip with us. I guess I can only say wow and when are you headed back?

Regards,
Martin

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mach5,

Thanks for sharing some of your trip with us. I guess I can only say wow and when are you headed back?

Regards,
Martin

Martin, I am not sure when but I sure do hope there IS a "when". I was very fortunate that my company sent me to Japan for several days with an open agenda for a general cultural and creative immersion and bring all that inspiration and knowledge back to NY.

In the mean time I'll keep dreaming... :rolleyes:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely Awesome!!! :)

Thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to part two!

I had a similar experience in Portland this past February. Not on the same scale, but Ryan, Michael and several others out there have very nice collections. (Incredible, compared to anything I've seen here in the States so far.) Ryan's place was much larger than I expected and is full of incredible trees. If you get the chance, it won't be like Japan, but it's certainly worth the trip.

A guided tour to Japan for bonsai is high on my bucket list... if I can save enough money to get it done. ;)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Absolutely Awesome!!! :)

Thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to part two!

I had a similar experience in Portland this past February. Not on the same scale, but Ryan, Michael and several others out there have very nice collections. (Incredible, compared to anything I've seen here in the States so far.) Ryan's place was much larger than I expected and is full of incredible trees. If you get the chance, it won't be like Japan, but it's certainly worth the trip.

A guided tour to Japan for bonsai is high on my bucket list... if I can save enough money to get it done. ;)

Yes love both Ryan and Michael! Thanks to them and few other veterans like Dan, Suthin and Bill, the level of bonsai in the US is improving. We are lagging behind Europe which is also working at a very high level. I will try and make a point to visit the Oregon boys one day for sure.

Try and get yourself to Japan. Certainly worth every penny! :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi AR. Yes I am. Just taking a bit of time since I have to go through a lot of pictures and organize it all. I'd say sooner rather than later I will post part 2 :rolleyes:

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So amazing, thanks for sharing!!

Are most trees for sale? People's collections that he stores and works on? The quality and quantity is just mind boggling.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So amazing, thanks for sharing!!

Are most trees for sale? People's collections that he stores and works on? The quality and quantity is just mind boggling.

Yes! I was told by one of the apprentices that everything is on sale for the right price of course. As far as I know, Mr. Urushibata purchases trees via auctions and such, brings them in and takes them to a whole new level with the help of his son Taiga and his apprentices. Not certain, but I don't believe he looks after client trees like other places do. I was astounded by the immense quality and number of trees on display at Taisho-en. Also prices definitely reflected the quality offered. Many of the shohin went for several hundred dollars and a few for $1,500 and up.

On Part 2, I will show many other "less prestigious" places that still show quality trees at amazing prices!! Overall, prices for very good to excellent quality bonsai are much, much lower than here in the US if you can find such material.

Top Bottom