Trip to Vonsgardens

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And Kansas rules NCAA Basketball. Eat it.

I despise basketball on general principles but that was a fantastic game.

Chris,
You mentioned you repotted your spruce. I'm needing to repot a bird's nest spruce and wondered if you had any spruce specific tips for repotting while your own recent repot is still fresh on your mind.

I'm pretty sure I've read spruce are best repotted in summer akin to mugos but the one I have is not looking too happy with the nursery soil it's been sitting in.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's in nursery soil, I'd go ahead and repot. Spruce are best worked on for styling in the fall, but I am by no means an expert on spruces, this is my only one. It was more a function of having skilled help and being skilled help.

This time I removed what little soil was left in the root ball. I had dug the tree from my garden in May 2005 and potted it up myself (hence the less than ideal planting position, but it was the actual growing position, so go figure). It had colonized the pot beautifully with a huge root ball of fine feeder roots. I feel confident that it will be just as comfortable in its new pot and position.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it's in nursery soil, I'd go ahead and repot. Spruce are best worked on for styling in the fall

I concur with Chris...fall is the best time for working a spruce.

BTW: Great thread on Vonsgardens Chris....thanks for sharing

Top Bottom