triple trunk clerodendrum inerme

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
hi guys, dont know if you guys have this over there but this is one of my favourite trees that i have been styling and would have to be my favourite species, it is such a fast growing tree i find it amazing, what you will se in the following pics is over a month and a bit of progression after collection and recovery time.

so feel free to comment and give advice or critisism, it is always good to hear from different people and opinions :)

Attachments

• Clero.jpg
    Clero.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Cl2.jpg
    Cl2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Clwired.jpg
    Clwired.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Triclerof.jpg
    Triclerof.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Tri clero looking sweet.jpg
    Tri clero looking sweet.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 127

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
I remember many years ago there was an internet site of someone in Qld who used to grow these in styro boxes and I was always amazed at the quick results obtained.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
gday snobird :)

i am in QLD but i wasnt the one who was posting them, but yes they are amazingly fast growers, this one is a months progress from bare stump to how it is now, just to give you an idea one shoot that got pincehd back 2 days ago has now extended 2 and a half inches long.

quite amazing realy :)

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
with the lack of interest on this tree i dont think there is a need to post the other one i was going to ask advice for, it is on a rock.

i am amazed that there is 113 odd views and one person has commented, is this tree bad or just doesnt need comment or critisism?
all is good i would like it to further myself and know others opinions...

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its frustrating, isn't it, when you post and no one responds? Perhaps one reason people don't respond is that they are unfamilar with the species. Also, if you put your location in the settings, it is helpful. Personally, the trunks are a little too straight for my taste. It looks like you've done a good job with the branching, so maybe once it fills in a bit the angularity of the trunks will be softened.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
maybe once it fills in a bit the angularity of the trunks will be softened.

I didn't respond because I don't do tropicals and can't really contribute anything intelligent about them above the most basic how-do-I-keep-them-alive questions.

I like the tree. I think Barry is right, and I'd experiement with planting angles a bit. As is, it looks a litle bit Candelabra-ish. If it were planted on the diagonal in the pot -- one way or another -- you might lose that feeling. And planting it a bit deeper (or losing that lone aerial root) and a slight tilt -- again one way or another -- might also help.

But with a lot more top, none of that (except the aerial root) might be a problem.

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Jamie, I think the branches have to fill in a bit before making an assessment again. At this stage I think its your choice how the primary branches will be directed e.g ascending and then horizontal or horizontal from the trunk. I also looks because its a fast growing species , the branches will "set" in position fast with wiring. Unfortunately I have never worked on the species myself.:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take this tree down to two trunks. I would keep the one on the left. It is lower down on the trunk and three trunks will never be good. They are too much the same size.

al

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
thank you for the responses, i understand that people dont respond if they dont know the species or tropicals, thats cool with me, i just though it was an interesting tree and you guys might have found it interesting.

i will definately look into planting angles and changing it so it tilts left or right, the nature of the tree is very fast growing and branches set quickly but are still quite maluable once hardened of to a point.

i agree about the arial root, i was thinking about removing it but i am also thinknig that with the speed these grow that wont take long to thicken and join with the trunk, even in a bonsai pot.

Smoke, i know you have explained that you would take this down to two trunks but could you elaborate a little more? i find the three interesting and aesthetically pleasing myself but more experience and knowledge would be great to hear why you would take it down to two.
i had kept it as three as not many are around or seen like this.

i also understand the trunks are rather straght but as this tree fills out you will be amazed how the work.
i will get a virt done for you to see.

jamie

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i had kept it as three as not many are around or seen like this.

jamie

Thanks...you answered your own question. You haven't seen any for a reason.....

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
ok, i think i get what you are getting at, your thoughts on it are that it is very hard to pull off a triple trunked tree convincingly?

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
just going on what has been said about this one being a triple trunk, i have found this as an example, it is a maple but it has very similar thickness trunks, using this as an example to mine i just want to see your thoughts on whether this maple works as a triple trunk or not.

the reason i have used this as an example is that it shows a slender tree but it also shows the triangular top, but it is different on the fat that it is a triple, now does it make it not work?

Attachments

• bonsai_maple_triple3.jpg
    bonsai_maple_triple3.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 41

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Triple trunk bonsai work just fine. And they're fairly common -- common enugh to be an established "style." But, like in all bonsai, some work and some don't. Looking harder at this one, I wonder if it is its symmetry thjat bothers people -- the candelabra look I mentioned earlier. Maybe getting rid of the symmetry will help???

Attachments

• Tri .jpg
    Tri .jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 39

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
just an update, i still need to remove a few branches as they are in the way of the trunks, it is slowly getting to somewhere like i want it. also the angle it is planted will be changed to this as the front. i took the pic from the angle i want to put the tree when i repot it soon.

Attachments

• Tcelaft.jpg
    Tcelaft.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 40

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Take this tree down to two trunks. I would keep the one on the left. It is lower down on the trunk and three trunks will never be good. They are too much the same size."

I'd second this advice. I'd remove the left hand trunk completely. It is of no real interest and it is a distraction to the main trunk. The best bonsai are those that are stripped to their essentials. Put your thumb over the left hand trunk on the computer screen...Without it, the main interesting trunk becomes even more impressive...

Get rid of the arial root at the back too...:D

Top Bottom