Triple Trunk Emory Oak

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone ever tried Emory Oak (Quercus emoryi) for bonsai? I recently bought an emory oak that I think has great potential if I had any idea of how to develop it. It has a triple trunk that divides right at ground level. It has nice holly-like leaves. I'd like any advice on how to develop it, especially pertaining to developing greater caliper differences in the trunks and developing lower branches. A few pics to get you as excited about this tree as I am.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 67

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I'm not familar with this species of oak. To add greater variety to trunk size I would plant it in the ground allowing the main trunk to grow unrestrained. I have to species of oak. One, a Valley oak (Q. lobata) does not seem to grow branches of off the trunk easily. The other, a scrub oak, Quercus chrysolepis (with holly like leaves) buds back easily.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Barry,
Quercus chrysolepsis is Canyon live oak (or gold cup oak). The two most common California scrub oaks are Q. durata and Q. dumosa. No offense, just sayin'

Paul

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Barry,
Quercus chrysolepsis is Canyon live oak (or gold cup oak). The two most common California scrub oaks are Q. durata and Q. dumosa. No offense, just sayin'

Paul

Yep. That's what I have... also called a maul oak. Thanks for the clarifacation.

Top Bottom