Triple Trunk Trident

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Picked this trident up at Bjorn’s back a couple months ago for a steal. Been trying to decide which would make a best front. I personally am leaning more towards option 2 or 3, but would love to hear y’all’s thoughts.

Plan is to cut back each trunk to the next major branch to start working on taper and building a structure. The other idea is just letting it run wild to thicken up for a couple years and then work on the structure.

Thoughts or suggestions?

20A4F3E1-D485-4949-B3C9-77BC9EA73210.jpeg
6D5D9550-C35C-4074-A413-0565F00D3CE7.jpeg62254588-7D7F-420C-BB2B-9578F82684D9.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Choice 2 is ok, but makes the largest trunk show it’s apparent straightness more. I’d go with #3, it minimizes that aspect.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
# 1 rotated clockwise just a little. It puts the smallest in the back giving a better depth of perception. Classic move. The three are different enough to begin. Taper takes time, but if you grow out more you could loose the distinct difference in caliper if not watched.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
2 or 1 rotated a bit as stated above.
Don't like 3 for a front. Looks like a 'Y' with a stick in the middle.
Some movement can be introduced by chopping and regrowing a new leader.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Scale is a bit hard to judge with just bricks in the background for size. How big do you want the tree to be? Whether to allow free growth depends on what you want. Are the trunks close to desired size yet?
One of the factors with multi trunk bonsai is that every additional part of a bonsai adds difficulty. Getting good roots, taper and good branching on a single trunk tree is difficult. Getrting all those factors on a triple trunk tree is not just 3 times more difficult, more like 9 or more times.
None of the fronts has al good points.
1 has a great place to chop the main trunk shorter to eliminate the long, straight untapered trunk but there's no obvious place to reduce the second trunk to match. Being trident that may not be a problem as they usually sprout well after chop. 2nd trunk apex currently growing in toward the centre which is not natural so needs realignment or chop and regrow.
2 has good shape on both smaller trunks and except for the tall, straight main trunk is a good option.
3 has the apex of second trunk toward the back. I'd prefer it coming forward away from any future main trunk canopy.

Orientation of 1 and 2 with unequal space between trunks is more desirable than equal distance as in pic 3. Just a little rotation can often make a big difference.

Well past time to get those props out of there. They've already made enough damage on the trunks and if those are not set yet I'd be very surprised given the callus formed around the ends of the sticks.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Got to repot this guy. First thing in the garden to push new growth.

Roots were crazy in the pond basket. Definitely very healthy. I trimmed back the roots to fit into a grow out flat. I shortened the extensions just to encourage some lower budding. Once the first flush of growth is hardened off, if all is well and healthy, I’m going to be cutting back the largest trunk to increase taper and will consider my choices from there.

63C58F9A-3319-4CAE-8E82-3B28C9CD3F42.jpeg
5C8AEF7D-3D97-4783-ADF3-F58DA5172A0D.jpegE9D4AC6C-0B4F-4B32-9323-E7C243AE522E.jpeg

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Awesome! After establishing what's your future plan?
Great question lol
For now, my plan is to cut back the main trunk once first push of growth hardens off and all looks well. For the most part, I like the sizing difference between all the trunks, there’s just little to no taper. I’m hoping for back budding to open up more options. I’m all ears if you have suggestions though as I’m still newer to all of this and trying to always learn more.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Got to repot this guy. First thing in the garden to push new growth.

Roots were crazy in the pond basket. Definitely very healthy. I trimmed back the roots to fit into a grow out flat. I shortened the extensions just to encourage some lower budding. Once the first flush of growth is hardened off, if all is well and healthy, I’m going to be cutting back the largest trunk to increase taper and will consider my choices from there.

View attachment 473598
View attachment 473599View attachment 473600
What brand of grow out flat?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What brand of grow out flat?

I purchased these back when I first was starting, before I knew about Anderson flats. I’d say they’re okay for the price. A little more wobbly than I’d like. I’m probably gonna double up on the flat just for extra stability on the trees I move around.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didn't see you comb out the roots. Now would be a great time to do that instead of waiting for later when they all mesh up together. The younger the better to do that operation. Still not too late since you just potted. I think you still have too much roots left. I did a few of mine past weekend and weekend before. Not hand to take pics sorry.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I didn't see you comb out the roots. Now would be a great time to do that instead of waiting for later when they all mesh up together. The younger the better to do that operation. Still not too late since you just potted. I think you still have too much roots left. I did a few of mine past weekend and weekend before. Not hand to take pics sorry.
I was being a bit more cautionary on root work for a number of reasons, but I agree, I probably could have done more. Firstly, I’m still newer to repots, in fact this is my first trident I’ve worked with, so I’m trying to give myself a little more caution. I think I was too aggressive with repots last year and noticed a lot of things didn’t grow nearly as much. I didn’t want to slow down this guy. I comb them out some and removed probably about 2/3 of the roots. I’m open to maybe doing more, but at the same time, given the size of the flat, I didn’t want to remove too much root mass to where I have a lot of areas of the pot with no roots and drying out at different rates.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I purchased these back when I first was starting, before I knew about Anderson flats. I’d say they’re okay for the price. A little more wobbly than I’d like. I’m probably gonna double up on the flat just for extra stability on the trees I move around.
Ah, yes, Anderson flats are very nice and they have a 6" high flat also.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yup. Let them reestablish and get some vigor in them. Then Cut all 3 trunks and get some taper going.

Top Bottom