Triumph Elm

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just have a question about developing deciduous trees. This tree is at the absolute beginning. It will eventually be chopped much lower and maybe air layer the top.
On prolific backbudding trees like this should I (as a general rule) immediately get rid of all but one branch in these groups? I know they tend to develop a knob where they come out.
IMG_8800.JPG IMG_8801.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
as a general rule)

I think earth has a general rule that says....

As soon as they remove all them branches save one.....

Send a bird or a gust to break the last one!

Which is to say...
You can...
But you must be either wholly careful...
Or not care at all!

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My advice is to airlayer the top before chopping. :p

I was thinking the same thing lol..

Those shoots are super delicate. Maybe thin them out a bit, remove some but leave 30-50% and let them get stronger.. bulges will develop that quickly so it's not a problem.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd also be vigilant with this tree. The back of it looks to be dead...Hard to tell if any buds are pushing though that darker area with the scaly bark...

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll post some more pics from all around. The chop was done when I bought it in November. It's about 36 inches tall right now. I had to a chop just to get it home. The chop is just out of the pic. But when it is recovered I will air layer first.
Thank rockm. I did notice that no buds were on that side for awhile but I believe some have come out since then. I check tomorrow.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd also be vigilant with this tree. The back of it looks to be dead...Hard to tell if any buds are pushing though that darker area with the scaly bark...
So maybe just leave everything until I know it's recovered fully?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it is dead you might ss well chop below the dead n regrow with taper,at the appropriate time

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Oh yeah that's quite interesting. I didn't notice that till you pointed it out, now it's all I can see.
I'd maybe bet the reason for such vigorous growth in those buds is because it's pushing the full energy of the tree, through half the buds cos other side is dead?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah that's quite interesting. I didn't notice that till you pointed it out, now it's all I can see.
I'd maybe bet the reason for such vigorous growth in those buds is because it's pushing the full energy of the tree, through half the buds cos other side is dead?
Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to tell if there are any buds on that side from the photo. The different color and the boundary with this side of the tree look strange to me. Might just be the way it is...

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was concerned originally when I saw that all the buds were on one side and I though maybe the other side wasn't getting enough sun. Some weaker buds started on the othe side, lower down. You might be right the top half of that side my have died back.
I chopped it as high as I did so if I had die back I would be safe. Looks like it was a good move.
Eventually it would chopped below those buds anyway. The trunk is about 4" across at the base
IMG_8805.JPG

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to tell if there are any buds on that side from the photo. The different color and the boundary with this side of the tree look strange to me. Might just be the way it is...
Thanks for pointing that out, saves me the trouble of an air layer if nothing grows on that upper section.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All those buds clusted at the bottom of the darker portion are not a good sign. That further supports my idea that the large section above is dead -- between the buds higher up. A tight cluster down at the bottom with none above indicates the auxins that set off new buds aren't moving up the trunk. That means D-E-A-D.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It appears to be live up to about 1/3 up yes? Maybe I should pinch all shoots higher up on the live side to redirect the energy to just the lower portion. You do see the buds on the "dead side" above the bottom cluster yes?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It appears to be live up to about 1/3 up yes? Maybe I should pinch all shoots higher up on the live side to redirect the energy to just the lower portion. You do see the buds on the "dead side" above the bottom cluster yes?
I would stop screwing around with it. There is a significant portion of the trunk that has died back. Messing around with the new growth could make that problem worse.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, that long section above the lowest cluster of buds is probably dead to the top. Don't know exactly how wide that dead strip is, but I'd bet it is as wide as the set of buds halfway up on the right and left of it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will not "redirect growth" by removing upper buds. You will further weaken the tree. Those new leaves are taking energy to produce and not, as yet, replacing it. Leaves are not functional until they "harden off" and mature. That is weeks away with these. Remove enough leaves at this point and you run the risk of killing off the new roots.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have chopped it low the first time.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
you should probably stop messing with it, but now im curious...how about a scratch test? got green cambium anywhere in the questionable area?

Top Bottom