Trophy 2019 a few pictures of the exhibit

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
For me, I thought the tree by Marija gave off a stronger vibe of "Miniature tree", and I liked it better than the winning tree. I would have flipped them. But not on anything specific. More on the overall impression left. Marije's tree just stopped me dead in my tracks. The winning tree.. I had not really noticed in my first trip around on Friday, before the awards ceremony.

It is however a technically perfect tree. I would probably have wanted the transition of old stump into the rest of the tree a bit more smoothly transitioning. I do not have the feeling the canopy belongs to the trunk. May have to do with the rough bark at the base and the (naturally) younger branches, something only a ridiculous amount of time might fix. I disagree with the "triangle" statement. All trees are more or less conical in shape, else the lower branches would die of shading. The top is well-rounded which is a sign of age in a broadleaf species. Branches do hang down over time.

I would agree. Marija's tree seem to have a lot more soul. Of course it helped that this tree is absolutely huge to grab anyone's attention right away. Regardless, very well executed without being "too perfect". Still, looking at it closely would have liked a bit more finesse in some areas as it seemed a bit too "raw" and underdeveloped at least for my taste.

The winning elm, although very well executed, was telling two incongruent stories. The base old, gnarly and full of character, has seen better times but somehow still hung tough and survived. The top, highly refined and looked almost too comfortable. Wish the top and the bottom spoke to each other. Incredible tree regardless!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would agree. Marija's tree seem to have a lot more soul. Of course it helped that this tree is absolutely huge to grab anyone's attention right away. Regardless, very well executed without being "too perfect". Still, looking at it closely would have liked a bit more finesse in some areas as it seemed a bit too "raw" and underdeveloped at least for my taste.

The winning elm, although very well executed, was telling two incongruent stories. The base old, gnarly and full of character, has seen better times but somehow still hung tough and survived. The top, highly refined and looked almost too comfortable. Wish the top and the bottom spoke to each other. Incredible tree regardless!

Well said, I felt like the winning tree looked like two trees photoshopped into one.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Marija's tree is spectacular. Maybe still some development/refinement needed but it looks like a big old
deciduous tree I'd see in an old farm field somewhere.

The other tree looks like a bonsai. Someone took a damaged old trunk and built a standard bonsai
form on top of it. That leads to the incongruity that @MACH5 mentioned. I find that I have the same
kind of response to a lot of the western collected trees that have wild/swirling deadwood with rather
calm green tops. Don't get me wrong, they are still beautiful in their own way but I can't seem to relate
to them the same way. To each his own I guess.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here are additional photos of the event. The vending area with around 100 vendors was incredible. The quality of the material was outstanding! Lots and lots of deciduous trees. Many imported from Japan. I did not take photos but famous potters from Japan like Katsushi Kataoka (Reiho) were also there demonstrating how they build a bonsai pot.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm interested what people here think of the Elm that won the best broadleaf award? It has an amazing base but I find it disappointing that the top has been styled like a conifer with a triangular shape, downward swooping branches and a single straight apex. It looks like someone got a great piece of material and styled it with little imagination. It's a good tree, but could have been an amazing tree. Several other better broadleafs on display in my opinion.
tsa_5495w-jpg.226947

Agreed. Upper looks phony/man made. Tree would better be if upper trunk gone with just 2 left branches and huge trunk;).

Top Bottom