Tropical experiments

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey nuts,
Today I got an idea to induce some aerial roots on the trunk base of my ficus benjamina I've had since I was a kid. A couple days ago I repotted the tree into a 12"×12"×6" grow box, and today I decided to try my idea. Here's the tree before20161227_093759.jpg
What I did was take plastic wrap and staple/tape down all around the box. Then I sealed it in the middle an poked about two dozen holes in the top with a toothpick. I watered it and all of the soil seemed to become saturated because of the spaced out holes.IMG_20161229_093556.jpg
Ill keep an eye on it to see if I start getting some aerial roots and I'll update when I do.
I'd like to see some experiments people are trying on their tropicals that are somewhat unseen before.

Thanks
Aaron

Solange

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'll be interested to see if this works. It seems for me what appears to be more important than humidity is being root bound. Also, not sure if the humidity should extend to the whole tree or not? I know I have seen people have some success with this same type of setup with other ficus, so hopefully it will produce the results you are looking for. I like this tree. :)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Try to cover the area with something that will keep it dark. That's how they form naturally, in the dark canopies of trees.
I was actually thinking about doing that, you know what's up so I'll definitely go do it later today after work. thanks

Aaron

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be interested to see if you have enough ventilation to stop mold from growing. I like your idea.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aaron,

on our side they like their pots no deeper than an inch, and mostly inorganic [ non porous ].
Air humidity has to be high, for us on hills, 80% with rain is what we normally get.
That is when roots often appear.
Good Luck.
Merry Ho Ho
Anthony

* Think Design/Decorative and see the Chinese stuff. Don't just grow roots.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting, keep us posted. I know you put it in that large box to get rapid growth. You want it to get bushy so that you will have many new branches to choose from when it comes time to re-design this tree. If you moved it back to a shallower tray, your growth would not be as fast.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
c54fun brings up a point I had pondered too. Keep an eye out for any mold.
Already planned on it.
I'm actually thinking about cutting off the plastic wrap and placing a black trash bag around the tree and using wire to seal it at the top (tape on the box like before) then I can open it to water and give it fresh air, plus it'll be dark per @Redwood Ryan recommendation.

Aaron

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What I have observed here in the tropics is that heat and humidity grow air roots best. Down on the coast and lowlands they grow like crazy. Up where I am at 1000 meters they grow but not nearly as fast. There are lots of f ben here that have been around a long time and are very cool, and have awesome roots and nebari. Mine in pots have not grown air roots yet, but they've been good training trees for bonsai anyway. I've had to really watch the wire. They grow so fast here, all year, that wire cuts in fast.
I know of a fat old one with lots of air roots fused to the trunk. But it got knocked over a few years ago, maybe 85% uprooted. Noone has stood it back up but its still green as ever. I imagine it will be a raft type thing one day if left as is, now some of the trunks air roots are taking hold. Amazing trees!

Top Bottom