Tropical indoor autumn growth spurt?

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I brought several P. afras, BRTs, and a small army of ficus inside to a south-facing window when my outdoor night temps started hitting 45f, and they've all pushed a lot of vigorous growth in the ensuing 3 weeks. No supplemental lighting or humidity. Less full sun hours than they were getting outside. Zero leaf drop on anything. No pests, with the exception of a fungus gnat or two flying around. I'm wondering if this easy transition is a common occurrence or if I'm being tricked for later in the year?

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Are you sure they aren't etiolating (stretching to the sun?)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I brought several P. afras, BRTs, and a small army of ficus inside to a south-facing window when my outdoor night temps started hitting 45f, and they've all pushed a lot of vigorous growth in the ensuing 3 weeks. No supplemental lighting or humidity. Less full sun hours than they were getting outside. Zero leaf drop on anything. No pests, with the exception of a fungus gnat or two flying around. I'm wondering if this easy transition is a common occurrence or if I'm being tricked for later in the year?
I defoliate my ficus microcarpa and bougie upon entry for the cold.
But my P Afra has not skipped a beat...growing like it's its job!
Likewise with my Willow Leaf Ficus.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
4 weeks after bringing the tropicals inside to a south window I'm still getting growth but now also getting back budding on all of my ficus microcarpas and BRTs and even on a F. benjamina. I'm resisting the urge to repot a few that could use it, but I'm still wondering if the tropicals are responding with a sort-of "second spring" reaction to the warmer temps inside? It's going to be hard to resist doing some work until next year if they keep pushing like this.

Top Bottom