Tropical Mahogany or Tropical Mimosa

Twee

Seed
Reaction score
I recently bought a Tropical Mahogany bonsai and noticed that the compound foliage closes up at night. I accidently came across a reading on similar bonsai tree on some random website and was told that unique characteristic of closing up of the leaves belong to a different specie called Tropical Mimosa. Can someone confirm this?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My Powderpuff, Rabbit's Foot Acacia as well as the BRT's all do this. The thing I find curious is that even under lights, they know when it's dark outside and close their leaves.

Twee

Seed
Reaction score
My Powderpuff, Rabbit's Foot Acacia as well as the BRT's all do this. The thing I find curious is that even under lights, they know when it's dark outside and close their leaves.
Nature is quite amazing.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I recently bought a Tropical Mahogany bonsai and noticed that the compound foliage closes up at night. I accidently came across a reading on similar bonsai tree on some random website and was told that unique characteristic of closing up of the leaves belong to a different specie called Tropical Mimosa. Can someone confirm this?
What’s a “tropical mahogany”? I’ve grown a bunch of regular mahogany’s (swietenia mahogani) before. They’re all over my neighborhood but never heard of a tropical mahogany. I have about 6 seedlings growing now. They’re just tiny though - a few inches tall. They’re very cool.

Top Bottom