Trouble with Gumbo

LeeAnnLee

Seed
Reaction score
I have a beautiful Gumbo Limbo, but it has an insect infestation. I see tunnels in the deadwood and I see tiny ants. Not sure the ants are the actual culprits. Also having lots of leaves turn yellow, so I’m worried about both the insects (and what to do), as well as doubting myself about watering and fertilizing. It was going great and is flowering. I am in FL, zone 9.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a beautiful Gumbo Limbo, but it has an insect infestation. I see tunnels in the deadwood and I see tiny ants. Not sure the ants are the actual culprits. Also having lots of leaves turn yellow, so I’m worried about both the insects (and what to do), as well as doubting myself about watering and fertilizing. It was going great and is flowering. I am in FL, zone 9.

Greetings!

Welcome to the Tiny Forest!

The Woody Dwarves are asking me to inform you that most times, ants are not the culprit, but a BYPRODUCT of a sap-sucking attack.

I do not know Gumbo Limbo very well, thought.

Try this;

Get a piece of straight white paper.... Hold the paper underneath the branches...

Then take your other hand and "biff" the branches, wiggly-bones style with your fingers.

Then.

Observe the paper...

Are there TINY dots on it?

Look closer...

Are they moving?

If so, it is spider mites..

This is the standard "mite test"

BUUUUUUUT

PICTURES would be super helpful.

(My parents are in zone 9 Florida, near Zephyrhills)

Top Bottom