Trouble

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Juniper ive had for a little over 3 years. Repotted 2 years ago. Cant tell if its stressed or just hasnt "woke" up from winter. Had planned on repotting this year but not sure if i should now.

The more green juniper is for comparison. It sits directly beside the more yellow juniper.

Any help and suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• 20190423_173945.jpg
    20190423_173945.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190423_173948.jpg
    20190423_173948.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190423_173955.jpg
    20190423_173955.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190423_174002.jpg
    20190423_174002.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 85

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh NO, sorry @jordystokes, not a wake up issue.
Done the mite/white paper test?
You're gonna have to provide detailed criteria besides potting up time frame.
Where do you keep it, how moist is that soil with the moss on it?
What's the soil look like under the moss, any black colour, any gnats?
get the moss off it's not in your benefit really, before the green one goes South too.

On the yellow one, grasp a handful of foliage. What do you feel?
Can you keep the foliage rather compressed in your hand and pull your hand away from it
with the foliage remaining supple, or is it prickly unlike the other green one you obviously can do this too?
If it sheds foliage readily when you do this, it is dead. If it's not, it soon will be. Shame, I like that one.
If it does not shed foliage, a possible ray of hope, but I have my doubts.

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Last week when I noticed the foliage, my initial guess was that it could have been the dreaded mites. Went ahead and sprayed the the tree and the surrounding trees as well. Did not do a paper test though.

Its outside year round. sun for most of the day until about 5pm. Water is once in the morning before work and if needed in the afternoon once returned from work. Always watered throughly. Soil looks good under moss, not black. no gnats. but that was just a quick check. would have to get a better look during daylight.

Are you thinking the soil stays to wet possibly? root damage?

foliage feels alive. not prickly or stiff. not loosing any foliage yet. I guess there could be hope.

This was the first tree I ever bought from a bonsai nursery so it means a great deal to me. Hopefully I survives.

1556071638485.png

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are you thinking the soil stays to wet possibly? root damage?
Indeed, as well as O2 availability. Could be one of the same, but roots yes if not mites.
Moss bluh . You might get away with wanting it in scorching heat, but it still traps the roots
covered as thick as it is. I would use none. It will grow on your trunks from spores in the air
and damage the bark without adding any at all. There's plenty of threads on here about how to
get rid of it :) From manual tweezing to spraying with 50% dilution of 5% white vinegar.

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My initial reasoning for the moss was heat and post repot to retain moisture. I guess somewhere along the way I forgot to remove it. It will come off tomorrow. Thank you @Japonicus

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
No mention of nutrients so far. Yellow foliage can also be a sign of starvation. What fertiliser regime and when was it last repotted?

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Shibui i use a smart release fertilizer (14-14-14) about every 4-5 months, it is time for reapplication. Repotted two years ago. Its time for a repot, but would prefer a healthier tree before I repot. If it shows any signs of growth that will probably be the first thing I do.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If potting media is still free draining, no need to repot.

Coated pellet type slow release fertilizer have release rate controlled by temperature. In spring, cool weather release is slow, once over 75 F daily ( over 24 C) release will be on the 3 months rate, so if you applied some, don't apply more, because when heat kicks in, you will have a "double dose". If anything, use a liquid fertilizer.

But most likely the problem is too wet. Removing moss should help significantly.

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If potting media is still free draining, no need to repot.

Coated pellet type slow release fertilizer have release rate controlled by temperature. In spring, cool weather release is slow, once over 75 F daily ( over 24 C) release will be on the 3 months rate, so if you applied some, don't apply more, because when heat kicks in, you will have a "double dose". If anything, use a liquid fertilizer.

But most likely the problem is too wet. Removing moss should help significantly.

the repost was more for aesthetic purposes. I have a different pot I wanted to put it in.

I have not applied the slow release fertilizer since late fall/early winter. I have other forms of fertilizer but use this one out of convenience. I don't always remember/have the time to mix up my liquid fertilizer.

Moss was taken off this morning. I also hit it with some mite control. Crossing my fingers ??

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No repot, too weak. No more than Fish fertilizer 1/2 strength 5-1-1 reduced to less ATM. Not good to feed a week tree really.
I use Superthrive, Walmart ~$10, and ProTekt 0-0-3 with Silicone to help with transpiration.
Once it shows new growth, feed sparingly, roots probably weak.
Issue with too wet roots is two fold. If rot has ensued, you must repot and repotting may easily kill it.

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No repot, too weak. No more than Fish fertilizer 1/2 strength 5-1-1 reduced to less ATM. Not good to feed a week tree really.
I use Superthrive, Walmart ~$10, and ProTekt 0-0-3 with Silicone to help with transpiration.
Once it shows new growth, feed sparingly, roots probably weak.
Issue with too wet roots is two fold. If rot has ensued, you must repot and repotting may easily kill it.

yes, too weak for repot. It currently has no fertilizer. I am waiting how to see how the tree responds to my current treatment plan.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have to say, your wiring looks really good :)
I've never had more than a branch or 2 recover from a juniper this yellow, then that withered.
Don't know if you're familiar with G&G nursery here in Lesage, 7800 St Rt 2, 115 acres of wholesale
that grows and distributes plants from Louisville/Cincinnati area to Cleveland and New York state...
http://www.gandgnursery.com/pages/aboutus.html
...has open to the public sales the 1st 2 Saturdays in May...I'm hoping to get there on the 2nd Sat
if I can get off work.

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have to say, your wiring looks really good :)
I've never had more than a branch or 2 recover from a juniper this yellow, then that withered.
Don't know if you're familiar with G&G nursery here in Lesage, 7800 St Rt 2, 115 acres of wholesale
that grows and distributes plants from Louisville/Cincinnati area to Cleveland and New York state...
http://www.gandgnursery.com/pages/aboutus.html
...has open to the public sales the 1st 2 Saturdays in May...I'm hoping to get there on the 2nd Sat
if I can get off work.

Thank you! Ive never heard of that particular nursery but i will definitely look into it.

Top Bottom