Trout in the Volunteer State

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Every October, I get together with some college buddies for a trout fishing trip to the South Holston River near Bristol, TN. Normally this is a camping trip right on the river but we no longer have access to our normal spot for reasons that are too long to get into. So this time we rented a house, which turned out to be pretty nice - and a lot easier. Although the camping was out, we were still able to fish the same water we usually do.
IMGP0467b.jpg

And the fishing was pretty good.
IMGP0493.JPG

IMGP0505.JPG
IMGP0479.JPG

One night a year we keep some fish for a trout dinner. We're normally all catch and release but this river has something like 7000 fish per mile, so I don't think we can hurt it. And they taste good, so...
Haul.jpg
trout dinner.jpg

Some more scenery.
IMGP0483b.jpg

My buddies work friend caught his first trout on a fly.
IMGP0480.JPG
And we all caught some pretty nice fish.
1328844641728.jpg

Until next fall. Or Spring if we can make it happen.
IMGP0508.JPG

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like Ya'll had a great time.....Wonderful photos.

Brian

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful! Healthy trout, split cane rods, beautiful scenery, what's not to like :) I've never fished the South Holston myself but I have a few friends that make the trip there to fish it every year. From what I hear it's a fabulous fishery.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beautiful! Healthy trout, split cane rods, beautiful scenery, what's not to like :) I've never fished the South Holston myself but I have a few friends that make the trip there to fish it every year. From what I hear it's a fabulous fishery.

It's pretty darn good. Sulphur Mayflies come off from April thru October and midges are pretty much always hatching. Standard setup is a sulphur parachute with a midge dropper in the morning. Around 1-2pm you replace the midge with a sulphur nymph and then an emerger as the fish start keying on the mayflies. Finally, you end up with 2 dries - the original parachute and a cdc comparadun. That's when it gets really fun. From April - October you can successfully catch a buttload of fish with about 4 different patterns. If you ever want to make the trip, let me know, I can offer up some advice.

Top Bottom