Truce. That $5 Alberta.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Remember this guy from page two?Screenshot_20170609-111205.pnghere he is today. Wires will come off soon.IMG_20170609_111550048.jpg prune again and re wire late fall/winter orrrrrrr spring 2018 repot. I should prob repot and see if that kills it. The hard pruning and wires haven't over the last couple winters

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I should prob repot and see if that kills it.

I repot all Spruce during the Summer hot spell when they sleep. When the temps go down to normal they wake up and recover quickly enough that they Winter ok. Another here recommended it last year and so far all good.

Grimmy

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I repot all Spruce during the Summer hot spell when they sleep. Another here recommended it last year and so far all good.

Grimmy
This seems to work with my mugos, going to give a scots a go this year and maybe a spruce. I'm pretty far north and don't think g it gets hot enough for a summer dormacy here. Colin Lewis speaks of it and he's about 1.5 hours south of me, and there's even a 10 degree on average difference just between him and I. My maples, elms, and hornbeam grow all summer and don't stop

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm pretty far north and don't think g it gets hot enough for a summer dormacy here.

Understood, and I can only say what works for me. It is refreshing to have someone notice and compare conditions - you will do fine!

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very true!

I go an hour north and south for baseball and south is a week ahead of me and north is a week behind me.

I probably get on and off summer dormancy.

@Soldano666 I want to update the Jammers thread....
But we are here...
Lol!

I'm gonna post these links there.

Berta Berta Berta!

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This seems to work with my mugos, going to give a scots a go this year and maybe a spruce. I'm pretty far north and don't think g it gets hot enough for a summer dormacy here. Colin Lewis speaks of it and he's about 1.5 hours south of me, and there's even a 10 degree on average difference just between him and I. My maples, elms, and hornbeam grow all summer and don't stop

I've only repotted one spruce in late summer. It did fine and I plan on trying more. W.P. Has been repotting many spruce in I think August for something like 20 years now with great results. His climate is not all that warm either. Zone 3 here but summers do actually get quite hot sometimes.

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems like alberta spruce are a constant battle on the tips.
They want to bush out and enlongate in the alberta spruce way...way too many candles and buds.
I have several with nice trunk size but forgotten for a year they revert quickly back to the alberta tendency of heavy tips with a long central leader.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I look at this now...
And question it...

But then I See how far It has come....
And it's "progressing ".

Last year I cut It a little after now...
The second set of new buds was about a 1/4in.

Here they are this Time...
Just yellow nubs..View attachment 144911

I wonder if HH says, "one to two inches, any longer and backbudding will be Limited...
@0soyoung I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with Aux making it to these buds or not.

Is looking for these side shoots...
More appropriate than looking for Length, which can vary.?

Before....
Selfie cam. I deleted the clear one.sorry.View attachment 144912

After...

Sorce
Nice work on the tree. It is coming along very well. Tremendous difference from the starting point of the tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work on the tree. It is coming along very well. Tremendous difference from the starting point of the tree.

Thank you so Much!

These reminders are necessary for me!

Also...your @Tieball what's in a name story is one of my ultimate faves, so whenever you pop up...I'm just happy !

Inspiring!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This triple trunk spruce that turned to deuce for $5 is soon gonna become a 5 trunk wicked bitchin Dwarf Alberta jiven` jammer Cuz the base I uncovered recently is decently strong enough to hold it up and this thing is so gonna go directly against the grain of what was spoken of em it might be painful to watch for them was speaking it.

Pretty sure I got it figured out.

And I haven't been nice to it. 20170802_172700.jpg
Took that wire off yesterday.
Good rain today and by this evening this thing looks sooooooo much greener!

I cut it back today....
Cleaning up the 3 new future trunks and trying to reign in the top.

No after pics.
This is before.
20170802_172625.jpg
20170802_172644.jpg

FVG'S on sick!

Done.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I finished the job that wire started and bent this trunk over.

Nothing pretty yet, but it'll be wired again before spring, and in a couple years.....

20170803_200512.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So far that trunk hasn't lost any life!

If this lands on page 4 I'll post another pic of the apex pre growth..from the top of three....peep the change.20170826_082147.jpg
20170826_082134.jpg

Here is a bit above the cut and bend too.
20170826_081953.jpg

You can see I waited too long to prune, the second flush is so small it's useless!

A branch below the cut.20170826_082039.jpg

It may still come off....

I'm gonna wire this gently in spring, and hopefully keep it healthy enough to finally get it in new soil next summer.

After which, controlling it's growth is going to be easy.
And keeping it healthy should be a breeze!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn!

@Bonsai Mike here you go!

I'll be damned if everytime I sit with this thing I don't end up thinking it's a lost cause....
Then before I post pictures I look back at old ones and regain hope.

Somewhere I made mention this was going to become a 5 trunker. Probly the Jammers thread.

5 trunk er.

Near front, far front, around the horn, Front again.
20171112_145825.jpg 20171112_145843.jpg 20171112_145900.jpg 20171112_145908.jpg 20171112_145930.jpg 20171112_145945.jpg

Kinda delighted that all the heights and thicknesses came out right.

Most of the trunks individually could use some branches in other places....but everything kinda filled a place.

Pretty psyched.

Damn I love Copper!

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Remember this guy from page two?View attachment 148699here he is today. Wires will come off soon.View attachment 148700 prune again and re wire late fall/winter orrrrrrr spring 2018 repot. I should prob repot and see if that kills it. The hard pruning and wires haven't over the last couple winters
This ones sick, you going to remove that Lower branch eventually ?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
This ones sick, you going to remove that Lower branch eventually ?
thanks, I may have already I dont really recall, I know it gpt the base exposed more and a top half of the soil repot to see what I was really worling with. Full repot next summer prob... Everything got put away and stuffed under the benches over the last few days, since temps have been plummeting, I'll make my way to it this winter sometime. I know it diddnt die on me so its in there somewhere.

Top Bottom