Reaction score
USDA Zone
post it to me!!!

sexy curves in the main trunk bro!

best regards
herman
Damn!

@Bonsai Mike here you go!

I'll be damned if everytime I sit with this thing I don't end up thinking it's a lost cause....
Then before I post pictures I look back at old ones and regain hope.

Somewhere I made mention this was going to become a 5 trunker. Probly the Jammers thread.

5 trunk er.

Near front, far front, around the horn, Front again.
View attachment 166905View attachment 166906View attachment 166908View attachment 166909View attachment 166910View attachment 166911

Kinda delighted that all the heights and thicknesses came out right.

Most of the trunks individually could use some branches in other places....but everything kinda filled a place.

Pretty psyched.

Damn I love Copper!

Sorce
Sorce so glad I found this thread! This looks good to me. I am so bored with my albertas, thus they are pretty neglected as another post showed. Alive but boring.
Then I look at the trunk and think geez I should be able to make something nice. haha
So this thread has given me some inspiration. This was done in November?
I have 5 or 6 so maybe one will be special in the end.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Whoa, I really wish spruces grew here better.

Can't even style my one and only because the climate is too damn warm here.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can see I waited too long to prune, the second flush is so small it's useless!

A branch below the cut.View attachment 158397

Sorce

When did you prune for that 2nd flush to be so weak? The beginning of summer?

Been trying to make a mental timeline here of cause and effect on these. I was going to do some pruning on mine in the next few weeks. what do you think?

Or just wait until summer Dormancy ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When did you prune for that 2nd flush to be so weak? The beginning of summer?

Been trying to make a mental timeline here of cause and effect on these. I was going to do some pruning on mine in the next few weeks. what do you think?

Or just wait until summer Dormancy ?

You know....

In looking back at the size of the secondary bud nubs, I actually cut it earlier than the last time....possibly too early, like it didn't have enough time to store energy from the spring growth.

But overall This thing has been declining too, that may be why that second touch of growth was so small....

Yeah I'd wait till Summer....probly prune and wire at the same time.

I'm definitely not pruning or wiring in November anymore. Too late and definitely has this declining.

Sorce

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know....

In looking back at the size of the secondary bud nubs, I actually cut it earlier than the last time....possibly too early, like it didn't have enough time to store energy from the spring growth.

But overall This thing has been declining too, that may be why that second touch of growth was so small....

Yeah I'd wait till Summer....probly prune and wire at the same time.

I'm definitely not pruning or wiring in November anymore. Too late and definitely has this declining.

Sorce

I think it may be a case of too much at once. (declining) I havent removed that much foliage at once from mine, tho I have one that I shredded (pulled off) many branches in disgust last summer. Now it is really ugly. Another that was declining, and I was sure was a goner, I planted out in the garden with the yamadoris . I told it live or die and 2 years later it is all green and bushy,
Still out there.
Even tho I have all these albertas with nice big trunks, I have lost motivation to work on them. Big scars that seem to never heal and the upward growth of the branches where they join the trunk. That is why when I posted those 6 to the alberta jam I said they have been neglected the last few years...and that is the truth.
I will continue to watch the alberta threads with interest however, maybe somewhere I will find some clues and a way. lol!!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think it may be a case of too much at once. (declining) I havent removed that much foliage at once from mine, tho I have one that I shredded (pulled off) many branches in disgust last summer. Now it is really ugly. Another that was declining, and I was sure was a goner, I planted out in the garden with the yamadoris . I told it live or die and 2 years later it is all green and bushy,
Still out there.
Even tho I have all these albertas with nice big trunks, I have lost motivation to work on them. Big scars that seem to never heal and the upward growth of the branches where they join the trunk. That is why when I posted those 6 to the alberta jam I said they have been neglected the last few years...and that is the truth.
I will continue to watch the alberta threads with interest however, maybe somewhere I will find some clues and a way. lol!!

@sorce

I have been feeling the same that slowly "pecking at it" if you will might be the way to go. Today I've been working on removing needles from the trunks and primary branches. I'm keeping every bud on the tree.......for now......

I figure that once I'm done cleaning it up, the tree will show me more of where I should take it...I'll have updated pics tonight or tomorrow, depending on how much I get done.

I'm really starting to take to these (but who knows my mind could change after some years with them) Maybe it's b/c they are "the road less traveled." :cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pecking at it" if

I think this ones decline has a lot to do with wiring in winter.

Well no...

First. Hacking it in winter, then mad pruning then wiring it 2 winters ....

Shit...I snipped some circling roots this year too...

It looks like its going to make it. But I should have got it in good soil way before anything.

The biggest problem is these showing up in winter.......
Bored as hell.....
Hack fest!

I think if we can wait till that first summer solstice, pot and prune.....rest a year if need be....
Then onto a single yearly summer pruning, that has energy behind it, and enough Time to grow and build more energy before fall....

These will get into an easy schedule.

Problem is Not starting them in winter!

In shit soil, and hacked and wired to hell, and still living...
There is no way in hell these topiary specimens can't hold up to Bonsai.

Bonsai4me says if you wait longer than 2 weeks backbudding will be limited.....
On these...
That's exactly what the hell we are looking for! Limited backbudding.

Blah.blah. this is an incomplete typing of thought.

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think this ones decline has a lot to do with wiring in winter.

The biggest problem is these showing up in winter.......
Bored as hell.....
Hack fest!

I think if we can wait till that first summer solstice, pot and prune.....rest a year if need be....
Then onto a single yearly summer pruning, that has energy behind it, and enough Time to grow and build more energy before fall....

These will get into an easy schedule.

Problem is Not starting them in winter!

Sorce

Totally get you! I had a thought last night about why they were boring and couldn't put it to words but you're right about that. Just b/c we acquire them in winter doesn't mean we start the process. Well not all of the process.

I sense that many have boredom with them b/c as they already are dwarfed it is not hard to bring them to proportion. Not very many of our bonsai ninja skills are needed.

I also think with these a better result is had much faster if we get out of the typical bonsai mentality of "remove and regrow" with these guys.

With DAS I think we need to "hit the brakes" before even starting to remove. I think we should try to work with what the tree has and is and try to avoid having to regrow as much as possible. The tree needs to stay full I feel. Maybe approach them working one side for a season or two and leaving the other side alone, then vice versa?

What I've done:

- I've removed half the roots on mine from the top of the pot down. Should it be repotted this summer? I don't know. Thinking to leave the roots alone. Thoughts?

- I've plucked most of all the needles from the trunk, primaries and crotches. Thinking to just remove uneeded, weak and incorrect small branches now as well.

I think the tree can handle it.

58 during the day 35 at night right now.

It's pushed a new lime green bud!!!!!!! wth? lol

Where I'm stumped:

I'm wanting to remove one of the leaders that is too strong and create a new apex on it. Should I wait to do this until summer?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@StoneCloud those all are rhetorical questions right? Lol!

The only thing I can think of.....
The roots.....

I tested some of this last year.

Diggin down into the roots to find the Nebari, then gently removing another (where you want good roots to be...
And backfilling with good soil...

If you read ever about my other spruce....
The one I killed of the bottoms roots with, leaving me only with good surface feeders...

Well Jennifer Price and I wrre taljing about spruce...and come to realize, keeping the surface roots wet on spruce is key....

So somehow not accidentally creating them....
But purposely...

Though that Mirai Soil stream has me currently adding nrmew ideas to the understanding of dealing with....

"The Shin".

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@StoneCloud those all are rhetorical questions right? Lol!

The only thing I can think of.....
The roots.....

I tested some of this last year.

Diggin down into the roots to find the Nebari, then gently removing another (where you want good roots to be...
And backfilling with good soil...

If you read ever about my other spruce....
The one I killed of the bottoms roots with, leaving me only with good surface feeders...

Well Jennifer Price and I wrre taljing about spruce...and come to realize, keeping the surface roots wet on spruce is key....

So somehow not accidentally creating them....
But purposely...

Though that Mirai Soil stream has me currently adding nrmew ideas to the understanding of dealing with....

"The Shin".

Sorce

Yes rhetorical :p

I did read about the other spruce you had as well. Also going back over the threads piecing info together.

interesting about keeping the surface roots wet on them, thanks for sharing that!

I haven't watched the mirai soil stream yet. maybe I'll do that tonight!

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Totally get you! I had a thought last night about why they were boring and couldn't put it to words but you're right about that. Just b/c we acquire them in winter doesn't mean we start the process. Well not all of the process.

I sense that many have boredom with them b/c as they already are dwarfed it is not hard to bring them to proportion. Not very many of our bonsai ninja skills are needed.

I also think with these a better result is had much faster if we get out of the typical bonsai mentality of "remove and regrow" with these guys.

With DAS I think we need to "hit the brakes" before even starting to remove. I think we should try to work with what the tree has and is and try to avoid having to regrow as much as possible. The tree needs to stay full I feel. Maybe approach them working one side for a season or two and leaving the other side alone, then vice versa?

What I've done:

- I've removed half the roots on mine from the top of the pot down. Should it be repotted this summer? I don't know. Thinking to leave the roots alone. Thoughts?

- I've plucked most of all the needles from the trunk, primaries and crotches. Thinking to just remove uneeded, weak and incorrect small branches now as well.

I think the tree can handle it.

58 during the day 35 at night right now.

It's pushed a new lime green bud!!!!!!! wth? lol

Where I'm stumped:

I'm wanting to remove one of the leaders that is too strong and create a new apex on it. Should I wait to do this until summer?

If they can be left in their pots for awhile while you do other work, chops etc.
leave the repotting till another year.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@StoneCloud I have found they tolerate chopping anytime. Now would likely be a good time, less sap flow hopefully.
enjoy

I am preparing to chop it. Still contemplating on where exactly. Indecision!

I will most probably wait until next year to repot it, you're right I feel

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm on the GOHARD bus...

If they're gonna live they're gonna live they're gonna live.

Sorce

You know I'm with you on that. I look at my trees like any other living being, in the same species some are stronger, weaker, "like the cold" "don't like the cold"

In the time that passes in bonsai it's really amazing to see how individualistic trees really are!

you can always cut more another time...
once cut off, it cant be put back lol

Truth!!!!!

I'm more stuck from a design perspective than fear. Especially knowing the time it will take to develop these, I'm really taking my time and mentally mapping out the possible branches and where I want them. In an effort to see how much of what is here now will fit into the future design

USING MY FVG's @sorce !!! :cool::cool::cool:

But............my concave cutters keep trying to find their way into my hand! :p

Some of the buds on mine have started to break, so I want to get this done before the sap really starts to flow.

Cut paste in my left hand, and concave's in the right!

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I've got a nice medium sized twin trunk that I'm saving. Going to repot it this spring then work on it next year. I was going to leave it in its pot and work on it this spring but the soil is just one clump of clay so I decided to do it the other way around

Top Bottom