Truly disapointing

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Naw..I see em at low attitude brewpubs here all the time.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Well that may be true but remember the industrial revolution is just the last 200 or so. That argument is basically just saying 'this might have happened anyway because its been hotter and drier before'.

No, my point is simply that what we currently consider to be dry, hot and fiery is nothing compared to what the inevitable return to the norm is going to be like, i.e., normal in California, even before human made any changes to the atmosphere, is worse than we are currently used to.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
trying to pin them down on the specifics on what constitutes "acceptable" collection is like trying to pin down a moonbeam. Specifics like defining "alpine," "coastal" and "old" (and BTW, Alpine has specific meaning in environmental and regulatory circles)

Well the devil is in the details as they say. Before you get too upset consider this. With respect to any government land the rules come from 2 places. Congress, or more likely in this case by federal regulation - when a government agency makes rules pursuant to federal legislation.

I don't think far is going to succeed getting an anti yamadori bill through congress. In the event of a regulatory change every citizen can subMIT their comments to the agency making the rules. And the rules or regulations will have to spell out exactly what they mean when they say 'alpine' or coastal area...

In other words is this guy just on his soapbox or is there some vehicle for him and other like minded people to affect the change they want? If there are proposed regulations being considered, submit a comment. The agency has to play by the rules in the administrative procedure act.

And the ability of the federal government to control what you do with your private property is pretty limited. It implicates what's called the takings clause. If the govt makes rules that take away private property rights they generally have to pay you ..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the devil is in the details as they say. Before you get too upset consider this. With respect to any government land the rules come from 2 places. Congress, or more likely in this case by federal regulation - when a government agency makes rules pursuant to federal legislation.

I don't think far is going to succeed getting an anti yamadori bill through congress. In the event of a regulatory change every citizen can subMIT their comments to the agency making the rules. And the rules or regulations will have to spell out exactly what they mean when they say 'alpine' or coastal area...

In other words is this guy just on his soapbox or is there some vehicle for him and other like minded people to affect the change they want? If there are proposed regulations being considered, submit a comment. The agency has to play by the rules in the administrative procedure act.

And the ability of the federal government to control what you do with your private property is pretty limited. It implicates what's called the takings clause. If the govt makes rules that take away private property rights they generally have to pay you ..

I understand how federal regulations and laws work. I've covered Congress and Washington D.C. as a news reporter on regulatory issues for going on 25 years now. Regulations take many paths, some aren't as clear cut as you describe. The agency does have to play by the rules, but the rules aren't as clear cut as you assume.

If you want to see how completely tangled federal and local environmental laws about private land, just buy acreage on a coastal watershed and try to install a new septic system.. Or have an eagle nest on your property while you're trying to build your house. See how far you get with either...

What I'm saying here isn't that Mr. Farr has, or will have, direct impact on U.S. laws (and regulation would hardly be an "anti-yamadori bill," but would most likely be added on to existing federal agency rules--which is a much easier process--look what USDA did with bonsai quarantine rules), but he certainly has influence with a number of bonsai folks who are loudly vocal about stopping collection. They certainly don't fear trying to bully legal collectors into stopping or trying ruin a collector's reputation by implying that he's some kind of barbarian or even criminal.

Reaction score
Send them out to Mid Mo! We just pushed out 48 Autum Blaze Maples into a ditch to be burned so we can plant more trees. Then I can show them the hundreds I have pulled aside for BŌNSAI! That would have been thrown in the same ditch because they don't make good nursery trees.

If you’re still burning scores of maples in a ditch, I’d be happy to drive out and find a use fit them :)

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only been on one such collection adventure.
Back in the 90's an article in a magazine spoke of the buttonwood.
So a collecting we went all 6 of us.

The complaints from the villagers were, - raping the land.

The comments from the two that were into the collecting -

How old'
How big

One survived out of twenty - big ones - 3 feet

All survived from the 3 mame' - 4 inches

Not a word about - beauty

No one minds if you take where the folk are clearing the roadside
or around the lamp poles and fill back in the holes.
No one cares if they are 3 to say 8 inches tall and pencil
thick.

That was our first and last time with those guys.
The second time, the villagers called the police.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom