trumpet vine

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My first collection...I messed up the Nabari. But it still has some left...it looked like dead stuff but I got good roots as well. Figured I may just leave it potted and on a landscape rock and let it drapped down...

Attachments

• 20140424_185255(0).jpg
    20140424_185255(0).jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20140424_185216.jpg
    20140424_185216.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 80

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Right side up...sorry about the earlier posts. Wanted to share...but had to still dig up some other trees. One juniper that will sadly go as landscape. And a couple of rose of Sharon's that they planted two years ago.
imagejpg1_zps4a68ae72.jpg

imagejpg2_zps810c01f3.jpg

imagejpg3_zps4961d593.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsb590b298.jpg

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would stand it more upright and bury those heavy exposed roots- chances are good new roots will grow there in a year or two. These readily ground layer themselves. They also tend to bud off older wood as well. Stake it or tie it so it doesn't move in the pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would stand it more upright and bury those heavy exposed roots- chances are good new roots will grow there in a year or two. These readily ground layer themselves.

The ones exposed in the current photo look dead. I buried the ones that showed life. I agree...it needs more upright. It shifted in transit...and I didn't realize it until I looked at the larger photos on the iPad. My phone's photos are a galaxy phone. So much smaller photos.

By the way...thanks Bob for the advice.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I most likely could have cut back the roots a lot more. They are a good 8" or so...on the side that is planted. Allowing that twisted look of roots still be seen since they grew into the soil like such. Figured I would allow it to come to life...then work on it next year. Since...it was ripped from the ground.

Really glad to hear it back buds on old wood.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't you want to cut it back and create a new top (it is a vine)? I'd chop it just above the top of the rock (inside the pot) myself.

To stabilize (if you want to keep it that tall), you can drill a hole at the pot from the far/opposite side of the lean and apply a guy wire. Simple and effective (adjustable too).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don't you want to cut it back and create a new top (it is a vine)? I'd chop it just above the top of the rock (inside the pot) myself.

To stabilize (if you want to keep it that tall), you can drill a hole at the pot from the far/opposite side of the lean and apply a guy wire. Simple and effective (adjustable too).

I actually thought of cutting it off when I dug it up. (I actually only took 1/4 of the height of the vine.) But...simply can not find any good photos of bonsai as a trumpet vine. That said...it is a vine and having it drape and hang to one side is what I guess I am going for. Since it will easily fall into a weeping vine style I think. Still unsure about it. Unfamiliar with the vine itself...so figured I could see what plays out. I can always chop later. Thanks for the tip on guy/guide wire. I will do just that for now.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would stand it more upright and bury those heavy exposed roots- chances are good new roots will grow there in a year or two. These readily ground layer themselves. They also tend to bud off older wood as well. Stake it or tie it so it doesn't move in the pot.

I ended up staking it and wiring it to the stake. With the rain we've had you really can see the green vein going up the trunk of the vine. Really neat seeing it stand out. May just keep this a potted vine. I really think it looks gnarly...we'll see what it does when it gathers foliage. If I wish to chop it or not.

The vine is 3' high from the top of the pot to the top of the vine...from the top of the vine to the bottom after it bends and falls...it's 4 1/2' approximately.

Edit: I did make it more upright as well.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Photobucket isn't working...so here it is potted and staked. Gave it regular mix...since I doubt I will chop this back. It's turning green...the vine itself. It looked dead when I collected it. But the roots looked good. That it's turning green I take that as a positive note.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 47

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking good

Thanks! My husband shrugged and said...guess it isn't dead after all. Though...he looks at it and just shakes his head. Not grasping why I would even want to rescue it from being ripped from the ground for the new addition to go up. He sees nothing in it other than...it makes me happy. :rolleyes:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks! My husband shrugged and said...guess it isn't dead after all. Though...he looks at it and just shakes his head. Not grasping why I would even want to rescue it from being ripped from the ground for the new addition to go up. He sees nothing in it other than...it makes me happy. :rolleyes:

Seems to me being a rather sturdy vine with nice flowers one could do some interesting work with that. Any idea what color the flowers will be :confused:

Grimmy

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They send up runners everywhere. I removed our trumpet vine last spring and we still have plants coming up from the roots within about a 20 foot radius of the original plant. If this was a lawn area it wouldn't matter too much, as they'd get mowed. But they are coming up in all the surrounding garden beds. Pain in the neck...

But the hummingbirds and orioles do like the flowers.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you get one for her, use caution...they have been known to consume small houses in just a few years time:p.

I've heard that. They can also over take a tree if ones plan on having it climb the tree. Hoping in a pot I can keep it well maintained. Not sure if it was their location...or what...they never had issues with it getting out of control. They had a wire training the vine to climb to the soffit of their home. It seemed happy enough to follow it for the most part. But...the other one they had the vine had rotted off at the roots. Thank goodness the one with the most character was spared. The other...was closer to their water feature...that they couldn't determine where a leak was. So excess moisture maybe? Unsure...they decided to ditch the water feature and build a larger master bedroom suite. She admitted to never being aware of the base of the vine until I pointed it out. She only paid attention to the blooms when they arrived. I think a bit of bonsai knowledge just brings more of a plant to view...seeing more out of what one may not notice.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
They send up runners everywhere. I removed our trumpet vine last spring and we still have plants coming up from the roots within about a 20 foot radius of the original plant. If this was a lawn area it wouldn't matter too much, as they'd get mowed. But they are coming up in all the surrounding garden beds. Pain in the neck...

Yup. 4 years ago, I cut down two large vines someone had foolishly planted up against our home's foundation. I applied straight round up to the stump, too. This is the first spring I haven't had runners shooting up all over my front yard....still early yet so I won't claim victory until August.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yup. 4 years ago, I cut down two large vines someone had foolishly planted up against our home's foundation. I applied straight round up to the stump, too. This is the first spring I haven't had runners shooting up all over my front yard....still early yet so I won't claim victory until August.

Curious if they don't thrive as well in Ohio's clay soil...my neighbor has them as well...with no trouble of them spreading. My mother in law had trouble even getting hers started. This vine had been there many years...and they said it just followed the wire they had tied to it. No mess or having it get out of hand.

But, I have heard horror stories of ones being unable to kill the stuff...and it over taking everything near and around it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I work for a line clearance contractor and when we come across trumpet vines( usually planted at the base of a power pole) the utilitys have us kill them with extreme prejudice. We cut them off at the ground then spray a chemical called garlon on the stump. Takes them right out of the action.

Top Bottom