trumpet vine

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With fear of strong winds the other night...I worried how secure that pot was up at the top of the waterfall. So I did what Grimmy mentioned awhile back. Hiding pots in stone planters. And got busy today with the rain holding off until later this afternoon. And made one to secure the pot. (Only thing is the base of the vine is not seen at all now from the pot being hidden.) But when in bloom I think it won't matter...
imagejpg1_zps7fda9973.jpg

imagejpg2_zps470147f6.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsdf2a9d53.jpg

I guess with the ravine behind the falls...you really can't tell in the photo where the vine is very well.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am pretty certain when everything comes to life it will stand out quite well ;) Also you did a nice job of securing it and blending it in. It will give the planting a better chance at taking well and still in the pot is easily moved, worked on, etc... :cool:

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am pretty certain when everything comes to life it will stand out quite well ;) Also you did a nice job of securing it and blending it in. It will give the planting a better chance at taking well and still in the pot is easily moved, worked on, etc... :cool:

Grimmy

Thanks Grimmy...hearing what trouble they can be...no way would I take this out of the pot. But the pot wasn't very secure up there...from the back patio it is quite visible...I hope as you say...when in bloom more readily seen in photos.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I have just realized that I have the same climber and I am trying to turn it into bonsai...
This is what I did with the trunk of mine. I do this to many trees that I am trying to develop from scratch...This one already has probably over 4' base and nicely tapered. So I decided to make one more tree from it.

Attachments

• 08 04 2014 017 (550x550).jpg
    08 04 2014 017 (550x550).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 08 04 2014 013n (550x550).jpg
    08 04 2014 013n (550x550).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 22

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have just realized that I have the same climber and I am trying to turn it into bonsai...
This is what I did with the trunk of mine. I do this to many trees that I am trying to develop from scratch...This one already has probably over 4' base and nicely tapered. So I decided to make one more tree from it.

How far do you plan on chopping yours? I am still up in the air on doing that with mine. I must admit to know absolutely NOTHING of the characteristics of this vine. Anything you can think of to help me grasp the direction you think would be good with this particular vine would be appreciated. :eek:

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I dont know if you noticed that mine is airlayered. In one year has grown unbelievably fast and fattened a lot...but I am in Africa and things grow here fast. It is in a huge packet...probably 50 liters, and the roots escaped bellow...so it really grew.
I would like to take advantage of the fact that it is a climber and climbers have the ability to make very curvy trunks...I also like curvy trunks, so I really wired the trunk. Sorry I actually dont really wire it but use a stick to twist the tree around.
I dont know your preferences. Mine I will cut where the curves end.and will remove the airlayer...ones established I might plant the airlayer again the the ground for a year...I know it will double or triple the trunk in one year.
I dont know what you like...fat trunks...curvy trunks...???? I like those but those are not the only options.
I can see you planted in the ground, and your spring has just started.
Perhaps you can airlayer a part of it and fatten the lower or upper portion, and make it curvy like mine if that appeals to you and go on from there.
Vine can also be made into nice elegant literati...without fattening it.
My principle it: Follow with your finger a trunk and if it looses interest(taper or movement) it is a place to chop...for me regrowing is not a problem

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Another option is to use part of it as landscaping tree. I just noticed It is a newly planted tree. Let it recover first if you decide to layer it.
Big vigorous untidy climbers I tie around a rod and train as lolly pop topiary. All you need to do is clip it twice a year. It flowers and looks very attractive.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Another option is to use part of it as landscaping tree. I just noticed It is a newly planted tree. Let it recover first if you decide to layer it.
Big vigorous untidy climbers I tie around a rod and train as lolly pop topiary. All you need to do is clip it twice a year. It flowers and looks very attractive.

Actually it's in a pot...with a stone planter around it to keep it secure on Top of the waterfall. With strong winds...I didn't want it to topple with no wind barrier. (So many mention they are horrid to contain I am almost afraid to place it into the ground.) I really love the base of this vine...and up where it splits into three vines...one seemingly dead wood sticks out on top. (Might not be it snapped off by my husband assuming it was dead and his breaking it off) that is where some character is as well. In between area...sort of blah. It has a slight bend leading up to it. But the drama is in here Nabari and where it splits into three vines and then bends over. Maybe I will just keep it as a landscape potted tree. Verses a bonsai. Since I like both parts.

Do you have any photos of this lolly pop topiary looking thing? I can't visualize it...but it has intrigued me!

So the air layer...is the black bag part seen in your photo? Looks rather neat the twisted trunk. I plan on adding a Red Majestic to our yard...just for it's twisted nature. As also a lavender twist ornamental red bud.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Darlene I shall take pictures for you in the morning. I have lots of lollypops...I will take lots of pictures.
Several of them I plated and some twisted.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
here they are...and part of my pond...the water fall is on the other side...the island is used for the puppies I got by accident...so they are isolated there and a temp house made for them.

Attachments

• 03 05 2014 001 (550x366).jpg
    03 05 2014 001 (550x366).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 03 05 2014 002 (366x550).jpg
    03 05 2014 002 (366x550).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 03 05 2014 003 (366x550).jpg
    03 05 2014 003 (366x550).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 03 05 2014 005 (550x366).jpg
    03 05 2014 005 (550x366).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 03 05 2014 006 (550x366).jpg
    03 05 2014 006 (550x366).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 17

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
The first two pictures are a petrea climber...next is pride of India...or crepe mirtle...
Then some hibiscus standards. I grew them all from cuttings.
This picture is green duranta...it was large untidy shrub, I removed all the side shoots and turned some of the branches into topiary.

Attachments

• 03 05 2014 009 (550x366).jpg
    03 05 2014 009 (550x366).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 03 05 2014 011 (550x366).jpg
    03 05 2014 011 (550x366).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 22

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just beautiful Neli...lovely landscaping. You keep pups on the island...I take it you can get there by rocks maybe? So can they/the pups get off the island or are they contained there?

I did look at the vine I have. I am leaning on removing a section so far down maybe. Though it has a section from above the base to where the vine branches off twisting about...I may just keep this a potted tree until I see a vision. But waiting to see it with foliage first.

ae24b449-16a0-41b3-979c-fddb16c3c3c4_zpscf0924c1.jpg

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
My dog had puppies by accident...so I put them on the island temporarily. here is a bridge going to the island...but notice the big cage of the parrot blocking it, They have been found good homes...so the island is no longer in a mess. They were very naughty and chewing all my trees and cuttings. The big dogs are free and well behaved.
You will be surprised how has the vine will grow compared to other trees. Ones it starts growing you have many more options.
This is the pond from the top.
390238_2238684258646_998969817_n.jpg

And my water fall when I just made it...Hven taken pictures again since.
47350_1341998922073_8372706_n.jpg

Can You imagine I built the pond and the water fall myself.
47888_1342001602140_7408708_n.jpg

And made this water feature on the side of the pond also...Drilled holes in the stones and put a pipe inside.
47888_1342001762144_3756888_n.jpg

Andnot to forget the river...he he he!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What an oasis! That is so beautiful! You have done one amazing job with it!

Going to hold off until I see what my vine/tree does once it starts to grow...then make a plan. Thanks Neli for some food for thought...and those beautiful photos.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:( sadly...this did not either make it through winter...or the transplant. It is still bare as can be with no life. Though one part of the trunk looks to have green on it which I thought a green vein of life. I am wondering if more moss than anything. Because nothing has shown up. The buds I thought to have seen were nubs of dried leaves I think. When I actually looked with glasses on my face. :p

So I have that pot hidden...on top of the waterfall. Pondering what to plant in it. Bummer...it's the only "dead" thing left standing rooted in soil still in the yard.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any chance you'll be coming to Rochester for the National Show? The trumpet vine I dug up last spring is doing very well but I don't think I want to keep it so if you have any interest let me know...otherwise I'm going to see if anyone around here wants it.

Chris

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any chance you'll be coming to Rochester for the National Show? The trumpet vine I dug up last spring is doing very well but I don't think I want to keep it so if you have any interest let me know...otherwise I'm going to see if anyone around here wants it.

Chris

Rochester...no plans of it sad to say. But thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. Busy crazy summer. Just trying to make plans for one week for us as a family to get a vacation in. Weddings and graduations...bridal showers so many my head is spinning.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Shame but next time you collect try to get three or so. That will up your success rate and what you don't want can be given away or sold. On a bright note your other plants did well :)

Grimmy

Top Bottom