TRUNCHEON CUTTINGS

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
We have various species in South Africa that will grow by just sticking big cuttings into the ground...
Haven't seen much in USA ??...
Would be interesting to see different species from different places...

this is commiphora harveyi (copper-stem corkwood) cut a section of trunk off a big tree and stuck it in a pot...20220620_065824.jpg

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
ficus obviously can be grown in this way... this is a garden tree that i had to cut right back... not 100% sure of the species, but one of our wild figs (burkei maybe?)20220626_100208.jpg20220626_171524.jpg

birchman

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the possible burkei looks quite similar to what we called 'natalensis' here in Perth - i understand it's a native to Africa as well and probably related to yours. Very easy to strike, probably the easiest species i've ever tried.

BVBonsai

Seed
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this forum and starting Bonsai for a few months now. But I have a question. In what time of the year is this possible? Is it also possible with an appeltree? In Europe it is end fall, starting to get cold and wet.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Taking big cuttings like this will only work on willow trees, and more tropical species to my knowledge (but I don’t know much).

IckyGuyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My former teacher showed me a progression of him rooting and developing about a 10" chunk of of freshly cut mulberry trunk in Michigan. Also second the willow comment, I have a thread started here of a log that I rooted.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Add Pomegranate, Coral tree (Erythrina).

Betula1

Sapling
Reaction score
Over the years Ive managed to root thick truncheons of Willow , Poplar, Privet, Lilac ,Tamarix , Cordyline, Mulberry Elm and Yucca - Oh and also Dicksonia, tree Ferns!

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have heard that Gingko also can be done like this with large cuttings - but I don't have any first hand experience. Can anyone here confirm?

Betula1

Sapling
Reaction score
I havent tried large Ginkgo cuttings but normal sized hardwood cuttings seem to root fairly easily 👍

Top Bottom