trunk chop a ficus?

Kent E

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ice
I have a ficus thats a rather large indoor tree, Can they be cut back or chopped? How do they fair? Back bud?

Thanks for helping the newbie out.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I have a ficus thats a rather large indoor tree, Can they be cut back or chopped? How do they fair? Back bud?

Thanks for helping the newbie out.

Kent, In order to help we need more information from you.
Where do you live?
Why is it indoors?
What are you wanting to do with it.
A picture helps a bunch.
Mom
Irene

Kent E

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ice
I live in Western New york. The tree is on the porch right now but in the winter it's in the house.

I'll try to get you a pic soon

As far as the type? I have no idea. It has varigated leaves. What I like about this ficus is that 2nd and 3rd branches have an "old" look to them. I think it would make a fantastic bonsai except it was grown for as "normal indoor tree", as in... I got it from a restaurant that was closing.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I live in Western New york. The tree is on the porch right now but in the winter it's in the house.

I'll try to get you a pic soon

As far as the type? I have no idea. It has varigated leaves. What I like about this ficus is that 2nd and 3rd branches have an "old" look to them. I think it would make a fantastic bonsai except it was grown for as "normal indoor tree", as in... I got it from a restaurant that was closing.

Sounds like a biggie!
And yes you should be able to but the pic will tell us what is and is not possible.
Mom

Kent E

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ice
Here are the pics:

Like the oil container for reference :rolleyes:
varigatedficus.jpg

This pic shows the leaves but really doesn't show the old look I was describing.
leavesonvarigatedficus.jpg

Kent E

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ice
Actually, I think the ample sun has caused the branches to spread more than they were and so it looks longer and more drawn out like a normal tree. It was in a dim restaurant for years and was more condensed than it is now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks like a variegated ficus benjamina. They respond well to bonsai culture although they are just a bit finicky with changes in temperature, etc. They seem easy to graft, are extremely easy to air layer, and it should be a fun tree to learn some techniques on. If you cut the branches way back, you should see back budding, although you may not find it exactly where you want.

My own first houseplant that I turned into bonsai was a benjamina. It had five tall spindly trunks that my dad had tied up to a broomstick to keep them from falling over. I airlayered about seven trees successfully from that one, and learned a great deal from it.

Good luck to you.

Top Bottom