Trunk chop a loquat (japanese plum)

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have access to a couple of loquats between 1" and 2" in diameter. I found them late, so probably not worth a try this year. I would normally chop in place and come back next spring and dig. I've found in a dense canopy situation, that doesn't work too well. It's a non-conifer evergreen, and those may not always resprout from a trunk chop. The leaves are very large and would still be big if they shrunk to one-third their normal size, but I'm just curious as to what they would do it a container environment.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Had some loquats in my landscape in SoCal. Full sun, with no supplemental watering. Responded very well to aggressive pruning - in fact almost required it because otherwise tended to grow leggy. The fruit was quite delicious!

I'm not sure about suitability for bonsai however given the size of the leaf. Some of them could be 12".

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Not worth the time at all, very very bad species for bonsai one of the worst I can think of honestly. You can use them in the garden for the fruit though I like them xD

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
As a broad leaf evergreen loquat can be chopped or transplanted through much of the year but I agree with the others that leaf size will always be a problem. Loquat also don't ramify much so branch placement and density will also be difficult.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I might try one as a big potted plant.....not a bonsai. I'll put it my new addition to my garden. It will have some of everything anyway.

Top Bottom