Trunk chop in summer?

Mdpap1974

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a large potted shishigashira. Sadly, I am moving to a townhouse with limited outdoor space which I don’t think will accommodate the tree. I am considering putting the tree up for sale or maybe gifting it to a friend, but in the back of my mind I really want to keep it in some form. So, I was thinking of air layering as many branches as possible, and then doing a massive chop to develop the main trunk as a bonsai. The problem is my timeline. I will be moving at the end of June. Question: Will the tree survive a massive cut-back in summer?
6B85DE34-2B21-47AD-8AD8-B0992E76FECD.jpeg

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you leave an active branch on the tree it will remove nearly all the risk of losing the tree.

It looks like a grafted specimen, so be aware that any new growth coming from below the graft Union will not be shishigashira.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can asbolutely chop back at that time.

Layering might work but it might be too short to get any decent roots

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Where do you live? Give it to a friend who will let you air layer off your desired branch while residing with them ;)

Mdpap1974

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and advice. I think based on the lack of potential and welfare of the tree, I’m going to find a new home for it.

Top Bottom