Trunk Chop Large Maple

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Speaking of seeds. I collected half of the cotton Easter seeds on my tree. I will collect the other half in a few weeks. How long should I wait to remove the seeds from the fleshy fruit? Thanks.
Seeds will grow through the fruit if you plant the whole thing but you are likely to get a cluster of seedlings as fruits contain several seeds.
Better way is to put the fruit straight into water and allow the fruit to ferment - usually 1-2 weeks. When the flesh is soft rub/wash in a kitchen sieve. Most of the fruit flesh should wash through the sieve leaving seeds. Tip the seeds onto newspaper or similar and leave them to dry. Make sure seed is really dry before storing if you plan to keep them for long. Short term storage in the fridge still damp should act as stratification.
Personally I don't bother collecting cotoneaster seed. The birds here pick and process the fruits then spread seeds on all my pots - along with a dollop of organic fertilizer. Seedlings emerge in spring ready to be pricked out into their own containers.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Seeds will grow through the fruit if you plant the whole thing but you are likely to get a cluster of seedlings as fruits contain several seeds.
Better way is to put the fruit straight into water and allow the fruit to ferment - usually 1-2 weeks. When the flesh is soft rub/wash in a kitchen sieve. Most of the fruit flesh should wash through the sieve leaving seeds. Tip the seeds onto newspaper or similar and leave them to dry. Make sure seed is really dry before storing if you plan to keep them for long. Short term storage in the fridge still damp should act as stratification.
Personally I don't bother collecting cotoneaster seed. The birds here pick and process the fruits then spread seeds on all my pots - along with a dollop of organic fertilizer. Seedlings emerge in spring ready to be pricked out into their own containers.
Thank you! I haven’t been fortunate enough to have them self seed. I only have one outside currently. I do have 4 soft wood cuttings that rooted this year and 1 air layer, so more to come 😂 I want to germinate them mostly because I haven’t.

Top Bottom