Trunk chop now?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was granted access to a local farm with an abundance of Carpinus Caroliniana Hornbeams for harvesting in spring.
I did a little scouting on Thursday and identified a couple very nice candidates.
My question is, should I trunk chop now or wait until I dig them up?
Thanks!

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was granted access to a local farm with an abundance of Carpinus Caroliniana Hornbeams for harvesting in spring.
I did a little scouting on Thursday and identified a couple very nice candidates.
My question is, should I trunk chop now or wait until I dig them up?
Thanks!

Sounds exciting! If you are collecting in spring, I’d vote for then to chop just based on my limited (3/4 trips collecting deciduous) experience.

Recently watched Mirai’s japanese maple videos, and Ryan recommends pruning in the fall for established trees. He mentioned that major pruning like a trunk chop should still be done in spring, though the topic was for trees already established not collecting.

I would worry about dieback over winter, but, perhaps you gain the fact that the tree doesn’t have to push energy up the entire trunk/branch system in spring if you trunk chop in fall? 🤔

Let me know what you decide, I also gained access to a large forest area with a ton of hornbeam and flagged a good 5-6 for collection.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Brad in GR I watched the same Mirai video. Good stuff!
My mindset was the same as yours in regards to dieback. If I cut now and seal the cut, it might put me ahead of the curve.
As there are quite a few available, I might just try both!!
And as recommended in a similar thread about collecting at this time of the year, I might grab one now as a trial. :p

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Brad in GR I watched the same Mirai video. Good stuff!
My mindset was the same as yours in regards to dieback. If I cut now and seal the cut, it might put me ahead of the curve.
As there are quite a few available, I might just try both!!
And as recommended in a similar thread about collecting at this time of the year, I might grab one now as a trial. :p
Nice. Plenty to consider, also have gone back and forth on trenching a year prior to collecting. Might try that on a few, and I like the collecting in the fall idea as well. I did so for some larch and they seemed to take it well but we will know next spring.

Trenching seems to be an ongoing debate.

Key will be protection over winter for your fall collection, believe we are close on zone as well! Good luck, report back!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'd chop and collect all in one go. Also, I wouldn't think trenching would be helpful unless this was going to be a collection process spanning several years. Good luck with the trees either way.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sounds exciting! If you are collecting in spring, I’d vote for then to chop just based on my limited (3/4 trips collecting deciduous) experience.

Recently watched Mirai’s japanese maple videos, and Ryan recommends pruning in the fall for established trees. He mentioned that major pruning like a trunk chop should still be done in spring, though the topic was for trees already established not collecting.

I would worry about dieback over winter, but, perhaps you gain the fact that the tree doesn’t have to push energy up the entire trunk/branch system in spring if you trunk chop in fall? 🤔

Let me know what you decide, I also gained access to a large forest area with a ton of hornbeam and flagged a good 5-6 for collection.
I am curious about the same. I'm hoping to visit my uncle's property and walk around looking for trees to collect.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd chop and collect all in one go. Also, I wouldn't think trenching would be helpful unless this was going to be a collection process spanning several years. Good luck with the trees either way.
That's my thought.
When I grabbed a few of the smaller trees and leaned on them, they rocked fairly easily. They weren't very well attached to the ground. The area is pretty wet, so trenching is not needed.
Do Hornbeams have a very thick taproot or are there more surface roots?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My thinking would be.. Chop now. That will activate more buds on the trunk segment you want to keep. So when you do dig, you have more sidebranches sooner.
Send me a bunch of trunks while you are at it :)

Top Bottom