Trunk Chop -Pistache chinensis

Mic E

Seedling
Reaction score
I was planning to chop a 5-gallon, 7-ft tall pistache to about 3 feet, and was wondering the best time of year to do it.

There are no branches that low--they start about 5 ft up. Should I chop there instead, wait a year or 2 for recovery, and then chop again to about 3 ft or just take the risk and chop to 3-ft now?

Any idea if the chopped material (hardwood) would make viable cuttings this time of year?

Thanks!

Mic E

Seedling
Reaction score
Hmm..no replies...must get some attention. This seems to always get some replies.

So I bought a bonsai at the mall, no idea what is is, and it came in a pot with pebbles cemented in. What do I do now?

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey that worked;)....I know nothing about Pistache chinensis.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can't stop laughing......

I know nothing about pistache either .... but you sir earn the "made me ROFLMAO" award for the day!

Mic E

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks guys :rolleyes:

All seriousness aside, I'll treat it like most other deciduous trees and whack it this spring just as the buds swell, and post some pics when and if it recovers!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would help to know where you are. Trunk chops are done in the springtime in temperate zones...Chopped material on most temperate zone tree that's over a half inch or so stands little chance of rooting.

sherwoodschwartz

Yamadori
Reaction score
please forgive the reviving of the old thread. i have worked on a few pistaches. i have cut them back severely and they seem fairly durable. the issue seems to be in the creation of a convincing image. the petiole is larger, and it would seem that only larger specimens would look particularly good. also, their habit is straight up, and creating movement is a challenge. a point of interest about them- if left in strong summer light, the fall color is fantastic- deep oranges and reds. i think, in the hands of someone more talented than i, it would be an interesting plant to pursue.

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was planning to chop a 5-gallon, 7-ft tall pistache to about 3 feet, and was wondering the best time of year to do it.

There are no branches that low--they start about 5 ft up. Should I chop there instead, wait a year or 2 for recovery, and then chop again to about 3 ft or just take the risk and chop to 3-ft now?

Any idea if the chopped material (hardwood) would make viable cuttings this time of year?

Thanks!
So I just bought a 5 gallon pistache with decent movement at the base and good looking root flare. I got on bnut to see if anyone else had tried a trunk chop and only found this old thread. I was wondering how your chop went Mic E?

Top Bottom