Trunk Chopping DAS?

barguy8194

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are some leftover Christmas Dwarf Alberta Spruces in the nursery at the Lowe’s near me. They’re about four feet tall, 2.5”-3” trunks, interesting bark and flare at the base... only problem is, I don’t want a four-foot Christmas tree.

Albertas are difficult to work with from everything I’ve read, especially big-box Christmas nursery stock... these trees wouldn’t even be touched for a year at least, if I bought one, because they’re not healthy straight from the store.

BUT, the question: From my reading, spruces don’t seem to like heavy branch pruning too much, and definitely don’t like too much root pruning. Does anyone think the tree would survive a hard trunk chop? Maybe on the order of half the overall height? Given the tree was allowed to get healthy and go through a growth cycle or two first?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Maybe they would but from what I've seen others do is take it slowly with working them and limit the chops. I work with regular white spruces and they respond well but something about the dwarf Albertas just give up the ghost easier. Probably just because of the health of them though. But If the price is right and you are willing to experiment then go ahead otherwise I would be hesitant. :)

barguy8194

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I work with regular white spruces
Do you work with other spruce species too? Been trying to figure out more information about spruces, doesn’t seem like they’re super common for bonsai, but I love them in nature and really want to collect a couple this spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
White spruce is the most common around my parts but I've had success with Serbian spruce nursery stock due to both of them having a smaller needle size, both backbud really well. Harry Harrington has some good info regarding DAS here and Ryan Neil has done a lot of work with spruce too. I have seen some other local species used but they're a mixed bag in terms of development.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nope but I know Black spruce do well as bonsai. But if you're hunting for yamadori, I dont see why either one wouldn't work if the material is pretty sweet. All three species of natives have short needles too.

Top Bottom