Trunk chopping two Cork Elms

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello.

A week ago i dug these two Cork Bark Elm up. I was unsure where to chop the trunk. But now I realised that I probably chopped them a bit too high.
Where do you think I should chop the trunks and can I chop them now or should I wait?
I chopped them as said a week ago. Any other thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20191008_142343.jpg
    20191008_142343.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20191008_142410.jpg
    20191008_142410.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 79

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What are your goals? How tall do you envision the finished tree?

Below is a great resource on it.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you for your reply.

I think the height of the trees should be around the current height, maybe a little higher.
I think the top of the tree is a bit straight. I have drawn a circle of the straight trunk. And I have drawn a line where I might think the trunk should be chopped and then make a new top. What do you think?

Please note that the two pictures, are two different trees.265933265934

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you should wait. You want as much foliage as possible to trigger root growth. There's also more stored energy in the trunk to help recovery. Next year see where you get new growth and then cut back to a new leader. You'll have more options then than you do now and so can make a more informed decision.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unfortunately, I don't have enough practice to provide meaningful advice. I was more or less trying to coax out some further info so you can get better advice from the more experienced members here. Good luck!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Dont do anything else this year. If they regain strength and explode with growth (like most elms) you can chop again in summer next year. This is all assuming they are quite healthy.
Some of my elms I have chopped 3 times a year, but I have them dialed in with fertilizer and watering/soil pretty well.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My thought was also to wait until next year so I will do that. Thank you all.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Are these really cork elms? I have several and have significant corking by the time they are inch thick. I don’t see any on these.

As for the other question I would not touch it. Not the best time to chop anyway so I wouldn’t inflict more harm. Also wouldn’t have dug them up. They would have been much happier in the ground unless you have cold storage for them.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, to the OP's second question. If half the answer is to wait to chop. Once he waits and spring comes where do you think he should chop? I was thinking right above that first small branch pointing to the right. Is that the best spot?

Attachments

• IMG_6784.JPG
    IMG_6784.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 36

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
So, to the OP's second question. If half the answer is to wait to chop. Once he waits and spring comes where do you think he should chop? I was thinking right above that first small branch pointing to the right. Is that the best spot?

I would see where the buds pop and then cut based on that. Generally speaking I would cut closer to the bottom two branches. Lower than the black line.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree should be insulated well this winter. Is it fall in Denmark as well? It looks like you collected it before leaf drop, which may mean this year it will not be as protected having not sent all possible resources back to trunk/roots etc. Prepare perhaps for harsh climate ahead to be safe.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You should have waited until next spring initially.
It's way too late in the year to be chopping big hunks off of trees.
They need time to heal and store energy for winter.

I know. But i'm moving to another city in a couple of weeks. My succesrate on collection trees and make them survive is pretty high, so I took the chance. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are these really cork elms? I have several and have significant corking by the time they are inch thick. I don’t see any on these.

As for the other question I would not touch it. Not the best time to chop anyway so I wouldn’t inflict more harm. Also wouldn’t have dug them up. They would have been much happier in the ground unless you have cold storage for them.

The species is Ulmus Minor Suberosa wich gets cork bark, but Minor do not develop cork bark as fast as Ulmus Alata (winged cork elm).

I know it's not the best time. But i'm moving to another city. I will protect them in vinter. I done that before with succes. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree should be insulated well this winter. Is it fall in Denmark as well? It looks like you collected it before leaf drop, which may mean this year it will not be as protected having not sent all possible resources back to trunk/roots etc. Prepare perhaps for harsh climate ahead to be safe.

Thank you for your reply. Yes it's fall in Denmark. We have mild winters, but I will protect them anyway.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IME, they want to grow the highest ones biggest.
So I'd chop to the next leader leader.

The best thing about an out of season chop is, if they live, you know they're good for Bonsai.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
OK so now we have new info omitted from the original post. OP needed to dig these trees out of season but wants to know whether to change his/her mind.

Leave them be.
They will either survive or not. Further height reduction can be based on what buds emerge. Initial height cut could have been lower but it will not make any real difference now.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I noticed a black spot on one of the cuts today. What is it and can I do something about it? Thank you!

Top Bottom