Trunk graft Pinus Parviflora?

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel like I should be able to answer this question with a simple google search, but I'm not having any luck: Can white pine scions be grafted onto leggy white pine trunks (or black pine trunks)? I did a search and found some progressions and pictures of people doing it with black pines on black pine trunks.

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
As long as it's pine foliage on a pine trunk or branch it should take. I've read of everything ranging from JWP on a black pine trunk, to mugo on a ponderosa trunk.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen lots of white pine on black pine root stock.

Yes, me too. My question is in regards to a mid trunk graft on an older specimen. I've seem people bud graft new growth onto older black pine trunks but I've yet to find an example of grafting white pine scions onto older white or black pine trunks.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as it's pine foliage on a pine trunk or branch it should take. I've read of everything ranging from JWP on a black pine trunk, to mugo on a ponderosa trunk.

It makes sense. I'm just looking for a resource with JWP on a black pine trunk. Maybe it's the exact same process and I'm just splitting hairs. Bonsai Tonight has a good example of JBP on JBP:

http://bonsaitonight.com/2010/03/02/trunk-grafting-black-pine/

Do you think you'd have the same success rate using white pine scions?

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
I can't think of any reason why white pine scions wouldn't work, especially grafting onto black pines. The Japanese do it all the time, and you mention age, but I can't see any reason why that would be an issue either.

Since you're thinking of grafting, i would recommend looking up Ryan Neils demo on it. It's on youtube with all of his other lectures. I'll guess you've already seen it, but if you haven't it's great to watch. His video is grafting black pine to black pine, but it's still good to see and might help you down the line. And i can't remember for certain, so i'm sorry if i'm wrong here, but i think he went into grafting different species onto eachother, which would be perfect for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom