Trunk grafting JBP

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
I finally got time to get some trunk grafting done only two more trees to go. I put 4 grafts on this one. See how they go do few more next year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 172

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
Started pict flipping again was working fine for few weeks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 181

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So... Are you grafting JWP onto JBP bases? Grafting a different species of JBP onto a base, or just trying to get new growth in an REA where there was none by grafting the same species onto itself?

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
So... Are you grafting JWP onto JBP bases? Grafting a different species of JBP onto a base, or just trying to get new growth in an REA where there was none by grafting the same species onto itself?

Just adding branches for development down road.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How did I miss this thread?

Good job Paul. I need to do some of that, too. It's been really cold here, so my trees are really dormant, but we might see mid 70's today. So, they'll start moving soon.

I got a new Masakuni grafting knife, so I'm ready to go!

Your tridents, by the way, are still tight.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At Boon's Intensives.

Paul and I were at the last one together.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Excuse me, but I can't see the grafts well. Do you have better and closer shots?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
He may, but obviously, they're under the grafting tape.

If you're doing this by yourself, you have to act quickly. First, you make a vertical cut in the trunk with a grafting chisel. Then, use the chisel to slice open a wedge where the graft is going to be. Then, cut the scion. (You can cut the scion first and have it ready.)

Remove the grafting chisel from the wedge, and IMMEDIATELY insert the scion. Positioned perfectly so the cambium lines up. Then quickly tie it in firmly with grafting tape. Position a little plastic bag that has a pinch of wet spaghnum moss in it over the new branch, and tie it in place with the grafting tape.

All that happens in seconds. No time for someone working alone to take pictures.

What Paul was showing is you can put branches where you need them if the trunk doesn't have them.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Have you got a plan for the style of this tree? If I am not mistaken you have grafted the straight top trunk section...but is hard to see on your pictures.
You dont think the right big branch might be a better trunk continuation for the tree.
Nice material!
Do you use cut paste to seal the cut?

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How are these grafts going? any update?

Top Bottom